Pr. Associate, Experience Design
11 West 19th Street (22008), United States of America, New York, New York
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Pr. Associate, Experience Design
As a UX Product Designer on the Commercial Bank Design team, you will work closely with other designers, strategists, developers, product managers, and business stakeholders to practice human-centered software design.
About the Role:
Product Designers at Capital One have a passion for solving complex problems. They are human-centered in their approach to design and feel comfortable advocating for user needs. They are curious and demonstrate a passion for learning. They are capable of generating ideas and prototyping concepts that are anchored in research insights, subject knowledge, technology requirements, and business goals. They have an exuberant passion for the power of strategic design and an "anything is possible" mindset. They take pride in their work and yet they have a humble approach. They are able to contribute as a designer from end-to-end on projects, which means they are comfortable as researchers, data scientists, strategists, and designers. They employ design thinking methods to uncover insights that help inform design decisions. They are excellent communicators and feel comfortable presenting their design decisions in front of colleagues and stakeholders.
Commercial banking is ripe for innovation. Internal systems could benefit from greater efficiency and collaboration and in the long-term, from artificial intelligence. Externally there are very few digital touchpoints for commercial banking clients so there's extensive opportunity for design to improve industry practices. The services and processes are complex so we're looking for highly qualified designers who enjoy serious problem solving and creating simple, humane, ingenious solutions.
In this role, you will:
- A typical day might include facilitating a workshop to integrate Lean UX into a project, reviewing features with a project team, working on interaction design or conducting research with a customer.
- Collaborate with business analysts, product managers, developers and design teams on research activities, strategy sessions, ideation, design, and testing of new product concepts
- Build empathy and be an advocate for our customers through participation in human-centered research and design
- Translate user needs, style guides, and requirements into elegant solutions for complex problems
- Leverage analytics tools to measure success, present opportunities, and support decision-making
- Utilize Lean and Agile methodologies
- Present research findings and design concepts to designers and product partners
- Be a leader and mentor; you'll challenge, grow and mentor designers and contribute to fostering a collaborative team spirit.
Our NYC office is located downtown. The amenities are more startup than financial services: you'll find ping-pong, foosball, cold brew coffee on tap, and Aeron chairs. Our seating is open-landscape to encourage collaboration but with a limited number of seats in any one area so it never gets too loud, plus plenty of nooks and rooms to escape to when you need to focus.
- At least 3 years of experience with user experience (UX) design
- Master's Degree in Design
- 7+ years of experience with user experience (UX) design
- 7+ years of experience designing digital products or omni-channel services
- 3+ years of experience with Information Architecture (IA)
- 3+ years of experience creating prototypes
- Front-End Development knowledge
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top