PostgreSQL Database Administrator
Plano 1 (31061), United States of America, Plano, Texas
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
PostgreSQL Database Administrator
This position will be responsible for supporting new and existing Postgres database systems, both internally managed and Amazon RDS instances, help guide best practices in database administration, and introduce innovation with automation. The DBA will be responsible for maintaining these environments running in an on premise and AWS Linux / Unix environment.
The DBA should have advanced knowledge of Postgres Utilities, creation and implementation of fully functional Postgres databases, ability to maintain multiple development, QA and production Postgres environments with strong experience in performance tuning on Postgres.
- Responsible for providing day-to-day support and maintenance for existing and PostgreSQL databases.
- Provide 2nd and 3rd tier, 24x7 production support.
- Serve as part of the Database Support Team in developing and implementing next generation database systems architecture.
- Search for, identify, and correct data access performance and content quality issues
- Assist in troubleshooting and resolving problems within our environment
- Individual contributor performing both data design, modeling, and coding
- Design and build database solutions that are both highly available and highly performing.
- Administration, management, and monitoring of all Postgres database systems.
- Help support proper backup and disaster recovery procedures.
- Good understanding of Database Architecture, Performance tuning of databases,
- Pro-actively Identify bottlenecks and resolve them quickly.
- Proactive monitoring of Postgres databases for performance and scalability
- Update skills continuously with emerging technologies and apply them as and when needed.
- Work with developers on performance tuning, query optimization, index tuning.
- Support PostgreSQL database in AWS.
- Maintain a positive, upbeat, "can-do" attitude.
COLLABORATES OR WORKS WITH :
- Database Engineers and Database Architects to develop standards in processes and infrastructure design, build and implementation.
- Project Teams to provide infrastructure and business project support.
- Data Modeling and Development team to assist in the review of relational and non-relational database models and their physical generation.
- Python, SQL, and bash programming
- Strong understanding of Postgres performance tuning (partitioning, striping, data warehouses, data marts and other advanced physical data modeling techniques)
- Strong experience in replication, clustering, tuning, sizing
- Proven knowledge and experience in designing database schemas to align with development and business goals and objectives
- Experience in a 24/7 production environment support
- Strong experience supporting mission critical relational database
- Proficient in tuning database processes and queries
- Experience in supporting Postgres databases in AWS
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong teamwork, decision-making, documentation and analytical skills
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 3 years database administration experience
- At least 3 years of Postgres experience
- At least 3 years of experience working in hybrid environments - Linux / UNIX , MS Windows
- At least 1 year of experience as a database administration in a Cloud environment
- Master's Degree in fields such as Computer Science, Information Systems, and Engineering or military experience
- Experience working with/in Agile delivery teams
- 5+ years database administration experience
- 5+ years of Postgres experience
- 3+ years of programming in one of three (Python, SQL, and bash)
- 3+ year of experience as a database administration in a Cloud environment
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top