Network Operations F5 Load Balancer Engineer
Knolls 2 (12036), United States of America, Glen Allen, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Network Operations F5 Load Balancer Engineer
The Candidate for this position must have an understanding of load balancing strategies/ techniques, expertise in application switching / traffic management, knowledge of persistence and SSL certificates and troubleshooting methodologies. A general understanding of HTTP/HTTPS predicted behavior
and the ability to perform and analyze packet captures to assist in identifying issues and recommend solutions.
- Provide Tier 3 technical support within the Operations Advance Support team;
Acting as a technical thought-leader to work effectively in a highly diverse
technical environment to lead escalated critical issues to problem resolution.
- Implement enterprise Load Balancing strategy, design solutions, and ongoing
technology refresh and enhancements to meet lifecycle management and
- Complete change control, problem management and root cause analysis
processes in accordance with company policies, for execution of
implementations and changes to the network environment.
- Develop documentation, including diagrams, specifications and
- Provide Technical leadership and guidance to junior personnel for complex F5
- Provide direct support of audit and ad hoc consulting engagements.
- Utilize relationships with technology vendors to solve complex problems
The ideal candidate should have:
- A strong understanding of F5 iRules (F5's TCL scripting language) enabling
customization of application load balancing solutions through the control and
direct manipulation of the application traffic.
- Expertise in application switching and traffic management, deep
knowledge of application requirements (such as persistence), understand SSL
offload and implementation of SSL certificate and Key.
- A strong understanding in F5 Viprion products and virtualization
- Knowledge of F5 LTM and GTM hardware platforms including engineering
design and deployment implementation guidelines
- Candidate must have admin experience with F5 configuration CLI including
both BigPipe and Traffic Management Shell (TMSH)
- Knowledgeable of F5 system logging event types and logging levels
- Experienced in VIP creation, certificate updates, SSL profile creation, pool
creation and pool member modification
- Understanding of F5 GTM solutions, including WideIP and Pool Load Balancing
Methods, probers and monitors
- Experience with advanced health checks within LTM
- Experience with packet capture analysis software is required
- The ability to engage and influence team members as well as people external to
- High level understanding of multi-tiered application traffic flow, server load
balancing, global load balancing, and routing.
- Strong critical thinking, complex problem solving, appropriate judgment, and
decision making skills.
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate technical topics to management and non-technical audiences, as well as interface with the customer on a daily basis
- Experience with F5 technologies (LTM, GTM, V9, V10, V11)
- F5 Technology Specialist or F5 Certified BIP-IP Administrator or Solution Expert Level Certification
This position is an operational role. As such, periodic late night maintenance work and participation in an on-call rotation will be required.
- High school diploma, GED, equivalent certification or military experience
- At least 2 years experience in technical leadership in IT projects
- At least 5 years experience in technical aspects of Load Balancing
- At least 5 years experience with F5 technologies
- At least 5 years experience in technical aspects of Routing Engineering.
- At least 5 years experience in technical aspects of Switching Engineering.
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems
- 4 Years experience in Technical Leadership in IT projects
- 10 Years experience in all technical aspects of Load Balancing Engineering
- 10 Years of experience with F5 load balancing experience
- 2 Years experience with Cisco Nexus or 2 Years experience with Cisco Catalyst platforms.
- Proficient with VISIO for technical design documentation
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform a job, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top