Network Operations DNS/DHCP Engineer
7900 Westpark Drive (12131), United States of America, Tysons, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Network Operations DNS/DHCP Engineer
At Capital One, data is at the center of everything we do. When we launched as a startup, we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using statistical modeling and the relational database, cutting-edge technology in 1988! Fast-forward a few years, and this little innovation and our passion for data has skyrocketed us to a Fortune 125 company and a leader in the world of data-driven decision-making. Developing cutting-edge technology takes the culmination and collaboration of bright, talented people, and forward-thinking leadership. We nurture a work environment where people with a variety of thoughts, ideas and backgrounds, guided by our Shared Values, come together to make us one of the "100 Best Companies to Work For."
We are actively seeking highly creative and intellectually curious Technology Professionals who are passionate about DNS and DHCP to join our team! This is an opportunity to display knowledge of your craft by having a hand in designing and building a large scale IP Address Management (IPAM) system, expertly maintaining our enterprise class DNS and DHCP systems, and showcasing your expert level troubleshooting skills. Our DNS and DHCP systems play a critical role for both our company and our customers, so ensuring optimal performance of the environment is critical. You will be an integral part in advancing the culture of technical excellence within Capital One, and helping our associates create experiences that will delight millions of customers!
On any given day you will:
- Tenaciously manage on premise and cloud-based DNS and DHCP environments to ensure they are operating at optimal levels through proactive monitoring/tuning
- Drive incident and problem resolution as a Tier 3 escalation resource – leveraging strengths of other associates as needed to identify actions which will lead to resolution of operational issues and problems.
- Consult with other technology support groups as part of problem resolution efforts
- Implement new platforms/designs, code versions, and features to meet lifecycle management and business requirements
- Contribute to enterprise strategy development/design standard development efforts
- Create and/or maintain standards documentation, diagrams and workflow documents
- Participate in technology integration efforts with other engineering and support teams
- Ensure compliance with departmental and enterprise security configuration standards (includes security vulnerability assessment, mitigation planning and implementation)
- Serve as mentor and technical resource to more junior associates; train other associates through one-on-one or group technical discussions.
Successful candidates will possess:
- Exceptional interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills, including the ability to document solutions, present ideas to cross-functional teams, and explain operational issue background/root cause to vendors and senior leaders
- Strong knowledge of incident management, problem management, and change management best-practices
- Moderate to high level protocol and hardware troubleshooting skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent understanding of operating system network configuration
- High level understanding of multi-tiered application traffic flow, server load balancing, global load balancing, routing, switching, IP subnetting, basic wireshark trace interpretation, and Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience using network management tools and packet captures to resolve operational issues
- A solid understanding of what comprises a scalable, robust, supportable design
- A belief that standardization and automation is the path to happiness
- Automation skills. You know how to script and automate.
- A bias toward action, along with an internal drive for continuous improvement
- Curiosity. You ask why, you explore, you're not afraid to blurt out your crazy idea. It didn't really kill the cat.
- No fear. Big, undefined problems and operational issues don't frighten you. You can work at a tiny crack until you've broken open the whole nut and then clearly explain the issue in a manner that people who aren't as knowledgeable in your area of expertise can understand.
- A passion for teamwork
- Ability to work in a flexible work environment that embraces rapid change, emphasizes continuous learning, and attacks new challenges
This position is an operational role. As such, periodic late night maintenance work and participation in an on-call rotation will be required.
- High school diploma, GED/equivalent certification or military experience
- At least 2 years' experience technical leadership of a large enterprise network or 2 years' experience of large enterprise projects or at least 2 years' experience of a large enterprise infrastructure
- At least 3 years of experience administering DNS systems
- At least 3 years of experience administering DHCP systems
- At least 1 year of experience with Infoblox DNS systems
- At least 1 year of experience with Infoblox DHCP systems
- At least 1 year of experience with Microsoft DNS
- At least 2 years of experience with Unix or at least 2 years of experience with Linux system administration
- At least 2 years of experience with BIND-based DNS systems
- Bachelor's degree
- 4 years' experience technical leadership of a large enterprise network
- 4 years' experience with a large enterprise infrastructure
- 3 years of experience with Infoblox DNS systems
- 3 years of experience with Infoblox DHCP systems
- 3 years of experience with Microsoft DNS
- 1 year of experience in networking routing technologies
- 1 year of experience in networking switching technologies
- Amazon Web Services Certified Solutions Architect
- Certified Infoblox Core Administrator (CICA)
- Certified Infoblox Core Engineer (CICE)
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top