Network Operations Center Firewall Analyst
Knolls 2 (12036), United States of America, Glen Allen, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Network Operations Center Firewall Analyst
At Capital One, data is at the center of everything we do. When we launched as a startup, we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using statistical modeling and the relational database, cutting-edge technology in 1988! Fast-forward a few years, and this little innovation and our passion for data has skyrocketed us to a Fortune 125 company and a leader in the world of data-driven decision-making. Developing cutting-edge technology takes the culmination and collaboration of bright, talented people, and forward-thinking leadership. We nurture a work environment where people with a variety of thoughts, ideas and backgrounds, guided by our Shared Values, come together to make us one of the "100 Best Companies to Work For."
We are actively seeking highly creative and intellectually curious Technology Professionals who are passionate about network security to join our team! This is an opportunity to display knowledge of your craft by ensuring optimal performance and quickly resolving operational issues in our complex, large scale, critical network security environment. You will be an integral part in advancing the culture of technical excellence within Capital One, and helping our associates create experiences that will delight millions of customers!
As a Capital One Network Operations Center Firewall Analyst, on any given day you will:
- Demonstrate strong technical understanding of one or more core network security technologies, including firewalls.
- Tenaciously manage network security environment to ensure it is operating at optimal levels through proactive monitoring.
- Drive incident and problem resolution - leveraging strengths of other associates as needed to identify actions which will lead to resolution of operational issues and problems.
- Consult with other technology support groups, network security engineering, and management as part of problem resolution efforts.
- Serve as mentor and technical resource to more junior associates; train other associates through one-on-one or group technical discussions.
- Demonstrate strong technical understanding of core networking technologies, including routing and switching.
Successful candidates will possess:
- Knowledge of how to configure, support, and troubleshoot Checkpoint firewalls and Palo Alto firewalls
- Checkpoint Certified Systems Administrator (CCSA) certification or equivalent knowledge (firewall operation, how to interpret firewall logs, Network address Translation), site-to-site IPSec VPN connections
- Checkpoint Certified Systems Engineer (CCSE) certification or equivalent knowledge
- Palo Alto Networks Accredited Configuration Engineer (ACE) certification or equivalent knowledge
- Palo Alto Networks Certified Network Security Engineer (PCNSE) certification or equivalent knowledge
- Solid understanding of firewalls
- Experience troubleshooting firewalls
- Experience using network management tools and packet captures to resolve operational issues
- Solid understanding of routing and switching
- Basic knowledge of incident management, problem management, and change management best-practices
- Strong verbal and written communication skills due to the need to communicate extensively with remote team members and vendors
- A bias toward action, along with an internal drive for continuous improvement
- Ability to prioritize, execute tasks, and make sound decisions in high pressure situations
- Curiosity. You ask why, you explore, you're not afraid to blurt out your crazy idea. It didn't really kill the cat.
- No fear. Big, undefined problems and operational issues don't frighten you. You can work at a tiny crack until you've broken open the whole nut and then clearly explain the issue in a manner that people who aren't as knowledgeable in your area of expertise can understand.
- A passion for teamwork, collaboration, and keen attention to detail
- Strong customer service orientation
- High degree of self-motivation and self-direction
- Ability to work in a fast paced, often changing environment, and find your own path in ambiguous situations
- Experience working with a large geographically distributed network environment.
This position is an operational role. As such, periodic late night maintenance work and participation in an on-call rotation will be required.
- High school diploma, GED/equivalent certification or military experience
- At least 2 years of experience in a network security infrastructure support role
- At least 2 years of experience in packet capture tools such as wireshark and tcpdump
- At least 2 years of experience configuring, supporting and troubleshooting Checkpoint firewalls, including site-to-site IPSec VPN connections and Network Address Translation (NAT)
- Associates degree in Computer Science or Information Technology
- 4 years of experience in a network security infrastructure support role
- 4 years of experience in packet capture tools
- Network+ certification
- Cisco Certified Network Administrator (CCNA) certification
- Checkpoint Certified Systems Administrator (CCSA) certification
- Checkpoint Certified Systems Engineer (CCSE) certification
- Palo Alto Networks Accredited Configuration Engineer (ACE) certification
- Palo Alto Networks Certified Network Security Engineer (PCNSE) certification
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top