Master Software Engineer - DevOps
7900 Westpark Drive (12131), United States of America, Tysons, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Master Software Engineer - DevOps
We are seeking a highly creative and intellectually curious Software Engineer who is passionate about Public Cloud hosting – Operations, Engineering and Compliance. As part of a team that's leading the next wave of disruption on a whole new scale, you will play an integral part in advancing Capital One's Cloud eco-system and culture of technical excellence. You'll bring solid experience in emerging and traditional technologies such as: Python, Shell, JSON, Terraform and AWS/Cloud Infrastructure to name a few. Today we are focused on AWS, tomorrow it will be another public cloud provider. If you are focused on the art of the possible and are not afraid to push the bounds of technology, you want to be at Capital One. In this position, you will play a major role in shaping the future for how to quickly deploy applications at scale in the cloud for a Fortune 150 Financial Services organization.
Responsibilities & Expectations:
- Use your winning personality to influence broader Engineering groups in adopting Cloud technologies and processes.
- Manage cloud operations over multiple accounts and multiple clouds.
- Display strong operating system prowl and understanding of cloud security principles.
- Perform root cause analysis to assist customers with identifying performance issues and suggest architecture solution optimizing solutions
- Identify technical obstacles early and work closely with team to find creative solutions, build prototypes & develop deployment strategies, and procedures
- Collaborate with the Line of Business development teams to bring new features and services into production
- Manage, report and remediate compliance in an automated fashion using open source tools (cloud custodian, terraform)
- Design and develop automation workflows, performing unit tests and conducting reviews to make sure your work is rigorously designed, elegantly coded, and effectively tuned for platform performance, and assessing the overall quality of delivered components
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are necessary due to the dynamic nature of collaborations with internal divisions, vendors, and other engineering teams, solving complex business problems together
- Evaluate & build different compute frameworks for all tiers and while you don't have to scale buildings, implementing scalable system solutions is required
- We're looking for self-starters, those who can work independently, with and across teams. Establishing smooth running environments is paramount to your success, and happiness
- Automator. You know what continuous integration means, and believe automation is the path to happiness. You know how to script and automate anything and everything, from tests to environment provisioning
- You're not intimated by challenges, even thriving in an unstructured environment where you're empowered to make a difference. In that context, you will be expected to research and develop cutting-edge technologies
- Work with internal customers to implement data monitoring, orchestration and code deployment
- You love learning new technologies and mentoring more junior engineers
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 7 years' experience working in the SDLC
- At least 3 years' experience working in a Cloud environment
- At least 2 years' experience developing automation scripts
- At least 2 years' with large-scale infrastructure designs, implementation, and support
- At least 1 years' experience developing applications embracing Agile principles
- At least 1 years' experience with a formal version control tool (Subversion/ Git)
- Master's Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or Engineering
- 5+ years' experience with scripting languages, (Python, Yaml, Shell, JSON, Terraform)
- 3+ years' using cloud based hosting solutions (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- 3+ years' experience with large-scale software implementation (high transaction volume, high-availability concepts)
- 2 years' experience with Linux, server automation and scripting
- 2 years of AWS APIs experience
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top