Master Software Engineer, Data
Recruiting: VA - Richmond, United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Master Software Engineer, Data
Do you want to work for a tech company that writes its own code, develops its own software, and builds its own products? We experiment and innovate leveraging the latest technologies, engineer breakthrough customer experiences, and bring simplicity and humanity to banking. We make a difference for 65 million customers. At Capital One, you'll be part of a big group of makers, breakers, doers and disruptors, who love to solve real problems and meet real customer needs. We want you to be curious and ask "what if?"
Do you think about using data to unleash the power of applications? Do you build applications you are proud of and want to tell your friends about? Do you appreciate elegant solutions but also know when to build simple first and iterate? Capital One is seeking a Sr. Data Engineer to build extremely elegant and scalable data solutions to deliver a game changing user experiences insights across both internal and external customer touch points
Your areas of responsibility will range from message queues such as Kafka, Big Data solutions such as Hadoop, Dynamo, Redshift, Cassandra, Mongo, APIs, MicroServices, Distributed Processing and beyond.
- Hands on developer, lead the design, coding, and testing of complex distributed systems, integrations and protocols.
- Consistently lead/drive across teams for integrated technical designs and owns cross-team initiatives.
- Influencer across peers, into the business and also upward to senior leadership.
- Influencer across the larger internal and external community (ex, Meet-ups, external conferences).
- Defines strategic technology direction, identifies and brings in new technologies.
- Builds broad network of relationships across the platform.
- Lead the craftsmanship, availability, resilience, and scalability of your solutions.
- Deep dive into challenging production problems.
- Continuously improve software engineering practices.
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity.
- Mentor and develop junior software developers to perform at the next level.
- Leverage tool such as Apache Spark and H2O to enrich data and perform complex event processing.
- Technologies will evolve rapidly and you will have a chance to introduce them to Capital One.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are necessary due to the dynamic nature of collaborations with customers, vendors, and other engineering team, solving complex business problems together.
- Serious technical street cred and have built out infrastructures in the cloud and have Open Source contributions of which you are proud to share!
- Discerning- You understand the importance of selecting the right technology tool for the task.
- Insatiably curious- You ask why, you explore, you're not afraid to blurt out your crazy idea. You can work at a tiny crack until you've broken open the whole nut.
- Automator- You know what continuous integration means, and believe automation is the path to happiness. You know how to script and. automate anything and everything, from tests to environment provisioning.
- Problem Solver- You are a natural problem solver with a curiosity about technology. Others describe you as a highly creative and curious technologist, one with excellent research skills.
- You're not intimidated by challenges, even thriving in an unstructured environment where you're empowered to make a difference. In that context, you will be expected to research and develop cutting-edge technologies, to accomplish your challenge, should you choose to accept.
- While a cape is optional, the uniform we're seeking is someone super passionate about their craft, particularly all things data, and hyper-focused on delivering world-class solutions on an aggressive schedule. Is this you? If this is your version of a cape, continue to apply.
- Bachelor's Degree or Military experience.
- At least 6 years experience with building and maintaining Big Data and Fast Data applications using Open source software like Spark and Kafka.
- At least 2 years with Event Processors.
- At least 8 years of experience in Java based software application development.
- At least 1 year of Agile experience.
- 5+ years' experience with Data Engineering concepts.
- Understanding of Test Driven Development concepts and supportive tools like Cucumber.
- At least 1 year of experience with developing and deploying applications. on Cloud, preferably on Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- 3+ years' experience designing, developing, and implementing API.
- Experience which scripting languages like Shell and Python.
- Familiarity with Configuration management tools like Ansible or Chef.
- Familiarity with Application Container concepts using tools like Docker.
- Certified in one of the following: Java, Spring or AWS technologies.
- Understanding of Object-Oriented and Functional programming concepts using languages like Java and Scala.
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top