Master Software Engineer - Cloud
West Creek 2 (12072), United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Master Software Engineer - Cloud
Do you want to work for a tech company that writes its own code, develops its own software, and builds its own products? We experiment and innovate leveraging the latest technologies, engineer breakthrough customer experiences, and bring simplicity and humanity to banking. We make a difference for 65 million customers. We're changing banking for good. At Capital One, you'll be part of a big group of makers, breakers, doers and disruptors, who love to solve real problems and meet real customer needs. We want you to be curious and ask "what if?" Capital One started as an information strategy company that specialized in credit cards, and we have become one of the most impactful and disruptive players in the industry. We have grown to see ourselves as a technology company in consumer finance, with great opportunities for software engineers who want to build innovative applications to give users smarter ways to save, transact, borrow and invest their money, as we seek to disrupt the industry again.
Creating the next generation Cloud architectures, you will make a key contribution supporting end-to-end public Cloud Automation of application delivery, including Infrastructure provisioning and integration with Continuous Integration/Continuous Development (CI/CD) platforms, using existing and emerging technologies. The ideal candidate will have experience moving infrastructure to the Cloud!
We are looking for a Cloud Software Engineer to work closely with our application teams in supporting application migrations to Cloud. We want you to bring your creative ideas from every facet of information technology, including information exchange, transfer and retrieval, security, interface and system design in order to help us migrate our applications in an efficient manner. Part of this role is to help guide / educate the application teams about the efficiencies of cloud concepts while setting them up with the necessary components to own manage their application moving forward.
- Work with product owners to understand desired application capabilities and testing scenarios for migrating on-site solutions to cloud based offerings, such as Amazon's AWS and Azure
- Architect and lead the deployment of highly available cloud solutions in production which are both secure and scalable
- Work within and across Agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, utilizing CI/CD principles and support technical solutions across a full-stack of development tools and technologies
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity - Design and develop automation workflows, performing unit tests and conducting reviews,
rigorously designed, elegantly coded, and effectively tuned for platform performance, and assessing the overall quality of delivered components
- Automate the provisioning of environments cooking with Chef or playing with Ansible
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, collaborate with product owners, vendors, and other engineering teams.
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in internal & external technology communities, and mentor other members of the engineering community
- Automator. You know what continuous delivery means, and believe automation is the path to happiness. You know how to code and automate anything and everything.
- Serious geek street cred if you have a robust portfolio on GitHub and/or Open Source contributions of which you are proud to share!
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 1 year experience with Public cloud
- At least 1 year experience automating the build and deployment of AWS infrastructure
- At least 4 years' experience in software development and utilizing CI/CD
- AWS Certified
- 1+ years' experience with AWS DevOps tools, technologies and APIs (IAM, Cloud Formation, AMIs, SNS, EC2, EBS, S3, RDS, VPC, ELB, Route 53, Security Groups, etc.).
- 6+ years' experience in software development
- 3+ years' experience with large-scale software implementation (high transaction volume, high-availability concepts)
- 1+ years' experience supporting application operations and maintenance
- 1+ years' experience with Agile methodologies and practices
- 1+ years' creating recipes with Chef, building cookbooks
- 2+ years' using cloud based hosting solutions (AWS-EC2/S3, Azure, Google Cloud)
- 2+ years' with automation tools for server provisioning and Open Source
- 2+ years' experience with Linux, server automation and scripting
- 2+ years' experience with current licensing strategies around Open Source (Apache Foundation, GNU, MIT License)
- 1+ years' experience with containers such as Docker or LXC
Capital One will not consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top