Master Software Engineer
Locations: TX - Plano, United States of America, Plano, Texas
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Master Software Engineer
At Capital One, we consider ourselves the bank a technology company would build. We're delivering best-in-class innovation so that our 65 million customers - and counting - can manage their finances with ease. Our reality and vision empower our engineers to use artificial intelligence and machine learning to transform real-time data, software, and algorithms into financial clarity.
We're all-in on the cloud and a leader in the adoption of open source, RESTful APIs, microservices, and containers. We build our own products and release them with a speed and agility that allows us to get new customer experiences to market quickly. We're going boldly where no bank has gone before. And, as a founder-led company, we're inspired and empowered to make, break, do, and do good. So, let's do something great together.
Looking to work somewhere with the flexibility of a start-up but the financial muscle of a Top-10 bank? You're in the right place! And here's what that means for you...You'll have a flexible work schedule-we want to understand where and when you're at your best so you have a healthy work-life balance. Diversity and Inclusion are cultural norms here-you'll have access to active local chapters of Women in Tech, Blacks in Tech, and Hispanics in Tech and more. Plus, you'll be given time to support the next generation of technologists by volunteering with youth programs like Capital One Coders - our engineer-led experience that teaches middle school students in under-served communities how to code. Want to learn more? See what our associates are up to at #LifeatCapitalOne!
A hub for technology, our Plano, TX presence is expanding, and we need Managers of Software Engineering and Master Software Engineers who know their stuff to join our team. You'll have the opportunity to be on the forefront of driving a major transformation within Capital One. You'll work with a team of developers with deep experience in machine learning, distributed microservices, and full stack systems. You'll collaborate with digital product managers, and deliver robust cloud-based solutions to drive powerful experiences that help millions of Americans achieve financial empowerment.
Who You Are:
- You are fun to work with - you're excited by a team environment
- You are curious. You like to learn new technologies, and you adapt well to change
- You are passionate about current state-of-the-art software technologies and tools, with experience implementing them effectively
- You are excited about working with cloud-native stack, building on AWS using technologies like Kubernetes and Serverless
- You possess a sense of intellectual curiosity and a burning desire to learn
- You are motivated and actively looking for ways to contribute
- You are passionately focused on the customer and the details that make their experience exceptional
- You value data and truth over ego
- You possess a strong sense of engineering craftsmanship, take pride in your code
- You're pragmatic - you make the best use of time and resources to find the simplest workable solution
- You think and act like an owner, taking personal responsibility for both team and product success
- You possess great communication and reasoning skills, including the ability to influence and make a strong case for technology choices
- You thrive in collaborative agile teams and are ready to take on new and unexpected challenges while building the next wave of engineering solutions
What You'll Own:
- Collaborating with and across Agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, and support technical solutions in full-stack development tools and technologies
- Leading the craftsmanship, security, availability, resilience, and scalability of your solutions
- Bringing a passion to stay on top of current trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in internal & external technology communities, and mentor other members of the engineering community
- Encouraging innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, and self-organization
- Assisting in the hiring of top engineering talent and maintaining our commitment to diversity and inclusion
What You'll Do:
- Drive project/service delivery
- Lead software development projects with responsibility for overall delivery of software components
- Leverage emerging technologies to bring new tools to our delivery process
- Learn alongside some of the best engineers and leaders in the industry
- Work with Product Managers to build the right software
- Collaborate with other platforms tech leads to ensure integrated end-to-end design
- Document design decisions and Enforcing existing process guidelines
- Follow best practices of Software Development
- A thirst to learn new technologies and passion to apply them to solve customer problems
- Mentor junior developers
- Embrace DevOps and YBYO (You Build You Own) model
- Conduct design & code reviews
- Monitor operating efficiency of existing application systems
- At least 8 years experience in Java development
- At least 5 years of experience in Spring framework (Core Spring or Spring REST or Spring Boot)
- At least 2 years of experience in Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- At least 5 years of experience in Agile methodologies
- At least 2 years of leading and managing people
- Masters Degree
- 10+ years of software development experience with Java full stack development including Spring or SpringBoot
- 5+ years experience with optimizing and tuning large scale, high transaction volume distributed systems
- 5+ years of experience in relational databases (Oracle or MySQL or PostgreSQL)
- 3+ years of experience with Apache Kafka
- Active Certification(s) in Sun Java Programming, Development, or Architecture
- Active Amazon Web Services (AWS) Certification(s)
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top