Manager, Software Engineering
Monsoon (61076), United States of America, Oakland, California
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Manager, Software Engineering
Imagine working at an innovative tech company, writing mostly greenfield projects with technologies like Angular 2, Node, and Scala on AWS. Now imagine that company has the stability, work/life balance, and budget of a large bank. That's Capital One.
We're currently hiring for multiple positions within the Monsoon team at Capital One based out of downtown Oakland. You won't just be executing a mile-long backlog of tickets – you'll be coming up with new ideas and finding new ways to make Capital One successful, including some of our most beloved and trafficked digital properties.
Anyone can promise a position where you'll write "beautiful code" - we're offering one where millions of users will be using that code.
What you'll work on:
- Lead the platform team responsible for the static site generator and cloud deployment tools that powers CapitalOne.com. You will be on the core team building out a platform that provides the SEO benefits of a server-driven site with all the benefits of a single page web application. It's written with Angular 2 and Node and is deployed through the cloud.
- Make key technical platform decisions affecting hundreds of internal customers and millions of public customers.
- Work in an ambiguous environment while making sense of things. You can take in a wide range of information and find common themes while recommending good technical solutions and iterating on them.
- Optimizing CapitalOne.com: We're trying to improve CapitalOne.com with A/B testing, granular behavioral analysis, segmenting, and funneling based on user date and real time decisions.
Who you'll be joining:
Capital One is a technology company that just happens to be focused on banking. Many of our banking and card users have never seen a Capital One branch, let alone been inside one. That is the strength and seriousness with which we take our digital presence. This may seem like a bold claim, but look at the companies that now make up the greater Bay Area Capital One Team:
Our commitment to equality:
We are outspoken about inclusion, diversity, and conversations about how we as a company, an industry, and individuals can do better. If that speaks to you, we'd like to speak with you. We work hard to shatter glass ceilings for all our employees. The Monsoon team works in a gorgeous 1910 bank building; the only ceiling we want is the ornate fresco we work under.
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 5 years of experience in software engineering
- At least 3 years of experience with AWS
- At least 3 years of experience of Node.js
- At least 3 years of experience of a single page application framework Angular, Ember, React
- At least 2 years of experience as the technical lead
- 3+ years of experience in developing and running production system in high availability - high-performance environments.
- 3+ years of experience in the area of uptime and site performance.
- 2+ years of knowledge on Linux server environment in the context of production deployment.
- 2+ years of knowledge of OO and functional programming paradigms.
- 1+ year of experience with data stores S3 in a production environment.
- 1+ year of experience working in an enterprise environment.
- 1+ year of experience in production with other languages and runtimes.
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top