Manager, Product Design
North York (93006), Canada, North York,Toronto, Ontario,
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Manager, Product Design
Manager, Product Design
Join a team of product designers, design strategists, researchers, and developers who are shaping the financial experiences of our Canadian customers. As a key member of our growing internal Product Design team, you're a strategic thinker and maker with a focus on innovation for our credit card business. You'll have the opportunity to define, design and create new products and services that defy industry expectations and meet real human needs. As a Product Design Manager at Capital One, you will:
- Lead, coach and inspire a high performing team of 3 Product Designers
- Create full stack/end-to-end design solutions (wireframes through to visual design) for digital products on both web and native apps (iOS/Android)
- Collaborate with design strategy to ideate, define the intent and align your team's designs to the strategy
- Partner with the research team to understand customer insights and incorporate these insights into your team's designs
- Use data, both qualitative and quantitative, to inform and optimize your team's designs
- Ensure your team's design solutions are technically feasible by working closely with technical stakeholders
- Monitor project health and keep both the design team and greater project team on track
- Support the business team in scoping new opportunities
- Promote design and share knowledge across the organization
As a Product Design Manager, you:
- Have led teams successfully through various phases of product design including discovery research, synthesis, ideation, design, and testing of design concepts
- Are able to create win-win solutions that satisfy user, business, and technical requirements/needs
- View design solutions with a strategic lens taking into consideration the overarching customer experience, strategic frameworks, product portfolio, roadmap, etc. in order to deliver and drive value for both customers and the business
- Are able to design in multiple mediums and levels of interactivity (physical, digital, low and hi-fidelity, conceptual design vs. detailed design)
- Have the ability to translate insight and strategy into concept prototypes and communicate your vision through your artifacts
- Love storytelling to share your work, influence stakeholders and create energy around an idea or an initiative
- Will work to continuously improve the design workflow including people/process/tools
We hire for the right skills and experience, but being a good culture fit is equally important. People who are successful at Capital One have some attributes in common.
- Collaborative / team player
- Ability to work with a wide range of personalities and skill-sets in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to keep your team on track
- Expert client management and communication skills
- Ability to negotiate and get to a resolution
- Passionate about improving people's lives
- Technologically savvy
- Must be comfortable taking initiative and making decisions
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant program such as UX Design, Psychology, Human Factors, Industrial Design, Graphic Design, etc.
- At least 5 years of experience in user experience or digital design related roles
- At least 5 years design management experience or at least of 3 years in Project Management
- Hands-on experience with Sketch, Invision, Framer, Adobe Creative Suite and other current design and prototyping tools in the market
- 3-5 years of experience with a digital product & services organization
- Certification from an accredited organization such as Human Factors International or Akendi
- Experience in an Agile environment
Capital One Canada is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. We consider all qualified applicants and will meet the needs of those requiring reasonable accommodations.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top