Manager of Software Engineering
1750 Tysons (12023), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Manager of Software Engineering
As part of the Consumer Banking team that's leading the next wave of disruption on a whole new scale, you will play an integral part in advancing Capital One's ecosystem and culture of technical excellence. Your areas of responsibility will range from Application Frameworks, APIs, MicroServices, Distributed Processing, data, devops, ATDD and beyond.
Responsibilities & Expectations:
- Develop scripts and glue code to integrate multiple software components
- Design and implement application frameworks, APIs, libraries and services that perform at scale using existing and emerging technology platforms
- Automate the provisioning of environments pulling strings with Puppet, cooking up some recipes with Chef, or through Ansible, and the deployment of those environments using containers, like Docker or Rocket
- Design and develop automation workflows, performing unit tests and conducting reviews to make sure your work is rigorously designed, elegantly coded, and effectively tuned for platform performance, and assessing the overall quality of delivered components
- Manage two engineering teams in delivering software products while developing these products with them
- Serious technical street cred if you have a robust portfolio on GitHub and/or Open Source contributions of which you are proud to share!
- Discerning. You understand the importance of selecting the right technology tool for the task
- You are a natural problem solver. You ask why, you explore, and you thrive off of challenges.
- Automator. You know what continuous integration means, and believe automation is the path to happiness.
- You feel empowered to make a difference. You enjoy accepting and accomplishing challenges.
- While a cape is optional, the uniform we're seeking is someone super passionate about their craft, particularly all things eAPI, and hyper-focused on delivering extraordinary solutions on a bold schedule. Is this you? If this is your version of a cape, continue to apply.
- At least 5 years of software development experience in Java, Scala, .Net, Ruby, or Python
- At least 2 years' experience leading a team of developers
- At least 3 years' experience in developing REST and SOAP based Web Services
- At least 2 years' experience Spring Framework
- At least 2 years' with Virtualization and Cloud Platforms
- At least 1 years' experience Linux
- At least 1 years' experience developing applications using Agile principles
- 6+ years' experience with OOP concepts
- 4+ years' experience with development and management of Java APIs
- 1+ years' experience working with cloud automation/orchestration technologies (ie. Puppet, Chef, SpaceWalk, OpenStack, Ansible)
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top