Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
Manager, Data Scientist, NLP
Digital ML is the data science and machine learning team inside Capital One's Digital Products organization. We deliver real-time, personalized, intelligent customer experiences in Capital One's suite of award-winning digital products, including our website, mobile app, emails, chatbot, and beyond. We partner closely with our product and engineering teams to build the data and modeling platforms crucial to delighting a combined 52 million customers each month and empowering them to manage their financial lives digitally.
As part of Digital ML, you will work on things like:
- The servicing optimization engine that anticipates customers' needs in real time and helps them manage their accounts, purchases, payments, rewards, and more
- The marketing optimization engine that selects the right offer for the right customer
- The experimentation engine that enables us to rigorously test new features, messaging and offers for our customers
- Customer behavioral analyses (using transaction, clickstream and other data) that identify trends, patterns and relationships related to product usage
In Digital ML, you will work at all phases of the data science lifecycle, including:
- Build machine learning and NLP models through all phases of development, from design through training, evaluation and validation, and partner with engineering teams to operationalize them in scalable and resilient production systems that serve 50+ million customers.
- Partner closely with a variety of business and product teams across Capital One to conduct the experiments that guide improvements to customer experiences and business outcomes in domains like marketing, servicing and fraud prevention.
- Write software (Python, Scala, e.g.) to collect, explore, visualize and analyze numerical and textual data (billions of customer transactions, clicks, payments, etc.) using tools like Spark and AWS.
The Ideal candidate will be:
- Curious and creative. You thrive on bringing definition to big, undefined problems. You love asking questions, and you love pushing hard to find the answers. You're not afraid to share a new idea. You communicate clearly and effectively to share your findings with non-technical audiences.
- Technical: You have hands-on experience developing data science solutions. You are not only familiar with foundational NLP concepts (e.g., language models, embeddings), but also tuned in with the state-of-the-art NLP model architectures (e.g., BERT etc.) and have hands-on experience training and fine-tuning the model solution using open source tools (tensorflow/pytorch). You are not afraid of petabytes of data.
- Statistically-minded. You have built models, validated them and backtested them. You know how to interpret a confusion matrix or a ROC curve. You have experience with clustering, classification, sentiment analysis, time series analysis and deep learning.
- Customer and product oriented. You share our passion for changing banking for good.
- Bachelor's Degree plus 6 years of experience in data analytics, or Master's Degree plus 4 years of experience in data analytics, or PhD plus 1 year of experience in data analytics
- At least 2 years' experience in open source programming languages for large scale data analysis
- At least 2 years' experience with machine learning
- At least 2 years' experience with relational databases
- PhD in "STEM" field (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) plus 3 years of experience in data analytics
- At least 1 year of experience working with AWS
- At least 4 years' experience in Python, Scala, or R for large scale data analysis
- At least 4 years' experience with machine learning
- At least 4 years' experience with SQL
- At least 1 year of experience in DL and NLP
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).