Manager, Data Engineer
Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Manager, Data Engineer
We are looking for passionate technologists to assist our team with the data management platform responsible for the discovery, indexing, and analysis of operational data used to inform our most critical strategic and near real-time decisions.
Our systems are used by a large number of teams with varying roles across Capital One including: data scientists, machine learning specialists, business analysts, and data engineers.
We expect our engineers to build expertise in two or more disciplines (e.g., ETL pipelines, streaming data, batch processing, DevOps, performance testing, message queuing, etc.). Our teams deliver high-quality software quickly and embrace an ownership mentality - we build, test, deploy, and support our solutions. We typically ship code to our multi-region AWS production environments multiple times per week without any downtime.
If you take pride in your work, love to write code in multiple languages, know how to solve complex problems, and want to see your work used in a high-traffic production environment, please consider joining our team.
- Designing and implementing efficient data processing techniques that support high ingestion rates
- Writing clean and concise code that is well-tested, easy to maintain, and consistent with existing patterns in our codebase
- Build reusable solutions that can be shared across teams
- Stay current on technical knowledge and tooling to help the team utilize new technologies
- Clearly communicate technical information with developers and business stakeholders
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 7 years of experience in software development including design and development and testing
- At least 5 years of experience with Java or Python or Groovy or Scala or Go
- At least 3 years of experience with data management or data warehousing
- At least 2 years of experience with Git version control
- At least 2 years of experience with Linux command line or scripting
- Master's degree in Computer Science
- 3+ years of experience with Java 8+ and Spring
- 3+ years of experience with relational database systems (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL, RDS, Aurora)
- 3+ years of experience working with structured data formats (e.g. JSON, Avro, Parquet, Protobuf)
- 2+ years of experience with NoSQL systems (e.g. MongoDB, Redis, DynamoDB,Cassandra, HBase, Neo4j)
- 2+ years of experience with messaging systems (e.g. RabbitMQ, HornetMQ,SQS)
- 2+ years of experience with Big Data environments like Spark or the Hadoop ecosystem (HDFS, YARN, MapReduce, Hive)
- 1+ years of experience with Fast Data systems (e.g. Spark Streaming, Storm, Flink)
- 1+ years of experience with event sourcing techniques (e.g. Kafka, Kinesis)
- 1+ years of experience working with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- 1+ years of experience with functional programming languages (e.g. Scala, Clojure, Haskell)
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top