Machine Learning Data Engineer
7900 Westpark Drive (12131), United States of America, Tysons, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Machine Learning Data Engineer
Enterprise Data Services- Machine Learning
As Machine Learning engineer on the Data Intelligence team, you will contribute to building a fast data and machine learning platform scalable to solve diverse business problems. We envision, create, deploy, and maintain full stack technology solutions powered by streaming big data, state of the art machine learning, micro-service architecture, and intuitive visualizations in the cloud. At Capital One, we have seas of big data and rivers of fast data. To manage this, we are working with a number of cutting edge machine learning technologies, and are actively developing more. We are highly technical with strong backgrounds in what we do. Our use cases range from cyber threat prevention to predicting environment outages to enable our always on 24/7 services. We have the highest executive support and direct impact on our customer experience and bottom line.
Who you are:
- You yearn to be part of cutting edge, high profile projects and are motivated by delivering world-class solutions on an aggressive schedule
- Someone who is not intimidated by challenges; thrives even under pressure; is passionate about their craft; and hyper focused on delivering exceptional results
- You love to learn new technologies and mentor junior engineers to raise the bar on your team
- It would be awesome if you have a robust portfolio on Github and / or open source contributions you are proud to share
- You use, or are passionate about learning, and implementing complex systems to further customer goals. Implementing complex data structures or optimizing distributed machine learning deployments is something that you're excited about.
What we have:
- Flexible work schedules
- Convenient office locations
- Generous salary and merit-based pay incentives
- A startup mindset with the wallet and resources of a top 10 bank
- Monthly innovation challenges dedicated to test driving cutting edge technologies
- Your choice of equipment (MacBook/PC, iPhone/Android Device)
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 2 years of experience working with Machine Learning frameworks and Data Science methodologies
- At least 2 years' experience writing production code with either Java, Scala or Python
- At least 1 year of combined experience with the following technologies: Spark, Scala, Akka, Cassandra, Accumulo, Hbase, Hadoop, HDFS, AVRO, MongoDB, or Mesos
- Master's Degree
- Experience with recognized industry patterns, methodologies, and techniques
- 3 years+ of experience in working on and delivering research oriented data driven problems
- 1 year+ experience with AWS, specifically S3, EC2, and EMR
- 1 year+ experience with Spark, HDFS, and related large data technologies
- 1 year+ experience working with machine learning like SciKit-Learn, MLLib, or Theano, in production environments
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top