Lead Software Engineer - Java, Scala
201 Third Street (61049), United States of America, San Francisco, California
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Lead Software Engineer - Java, Scala
As a Capital One Lead Software Engineer, you'll work on Big Data and Machine Learning domains along with our experienced and talented data scientists, and turn data models into highly-scalable, highly-available services. You'll bring solid experience in emerging and traditional technologies such as: Scala, Java, Akka, Spark, Flink, Data Streaming, Kafka, Netflix OSS, Reactive Model, Python, REST, Cassandra and other NoSQL databases, relational databases, ElasticSearch, Hadoop, Docker, Ansible, Gradle/Maven, and AWS/Cloud Infrastructure to name a few.
You will lead the technical design and development of cross-functional, multi-platform application systems, and will have the opportunity to remain in a hands-on engineering role, writing beautiful code, while also providing functional and technical leadership, and mentoring software engineers on complex and high priority technology projects.
- Own the technical design and development of cross-functional, multi-platform application systems.
- Drive tactical delivery for multiple teams.
- Work with business partners, architects, and other groups to identify technical and functional needs of systems, and determine priority of needs.
- Ensure adherence to defined development life cycle, good software design practices, and Architecture strategy and intent
- Partner with business systems analysts (BSAs), project managers (PMs), and customers to understand the scope of work, priorities, and requirements for development.
- Collaborate with performing teams to deliver new capabilities in business applications and/or remediate issues.
- Enforce company policies in areas of development methodology, architecture, security, change and configuration management, compliance, and HR.
- Analyze, define and document requirements for data, workflow, logical processes, hardware and operating system environment
- Analyze and estimate feasibility, cost, time, and compatibility with hardware and other programs.
- Coordinate coding, testing, implementation and documentation of solutions Responsible for key system design and integration decisions; and for communicating decisions to individuals implementing the system.
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 8 years of software development experience
- At least 6 years of experience in Java
- At least 1 year of experience in Scala
- At least 5 years of experience managing software development projects through complete release cycles and working with cross-functional business and technology teams
- Master's Degree
- 10+ years software development experience
- 6+ years of experience in Agile
- 4+ years of Scala
- 1+ year of experience with Akka
- 1+ year of deployment experience with AWS
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top