Lead Software Engineer in Data
11 West 19th Street (22008), United States of America, New York, New York
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Lead Software Engineer in Data
Commercial Launchpad helps push the Commercial Bank forward by incubating new ideas and accelerating strategic initiatives. We are a diverse, balanced and fearless team of designers, product managers, data scientists, engineers & strategists - working together to solve complex problems across the Commercial Bank. We move fast, we have the freedom to take risks, both in the ways we approach problems and the tools we use.
Keep reading if:
- You embrace change and innovation, always seeking to push the boundaries, are comfortable with challenging the status-quo, and thrive in ambiguity.
- You LOVE technology and learning new things.
What we're looking for:
- Amazing technical instincts. You know how to evaluate and choose the right technology and approach for the job. You have stories you could share about what problem you thought you were solving at first, but through testing and iteration, came to solve a much bigger and better problem that resulted in positive outcomes all-around.
- A love for learning. Technology is continually evolving around us, and you want to keep up to date to ensure we are using the right tech at the right time.
- Confidence, not ego. You have an ability to collaborate with others and see all sides of the coin to come to the best solution for everyone.
- Demonstrated experience in the open source, big data ecosystem.
What you'll do:
As the data engineering technical lead within Launchpad, you'll be working collaboratively with some of our brightest engineering talent to solve challenging, high impact business problems using data. You will be evaluating, installing, configuring, and deploying software; you will be writing code and use thoughtful engineering practices to test it, deploy it, and run it. We are a part of a larger organization, so we will rely on your ability to get things done through others.
All of our infrastructure runs on AWS. Currently we use Airflow, PySpark, NiFi, Kafka, Flink for stream processing. We store data in Parquet and use databases such as Cassandra, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Redshift and Snowflake. We do analytics using H2O, Spark and MLlib, Databricks/EMR, TensorFlow. We build awesome products for our users that use this data. We write microservices in Go and Node.js, orchestrated by Kubernetes, with user experiences written in React and TypeScript. Your hands-on expertise in at least some of these tools will be valuable, as well as your track record of providing effective technical guidance.
- At least 3 years of experience in software engineering inclusive of source control, agile practices, testing, CI/CD and design principles
- At least 3 years data engineering experience that includes Ingestion, Transformation, Storage, Query, or Analytics open source tools
- Deep knowledge of at least one programming language ecosystem (e.g. Python, Scala, Go)
- Practical experience with data modeling (e.g. dimensional modeling, temporal modeling, OLAP)
Relocation assistance will be provided for candidates who qualify.
At this time, Capital One will sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top