Lead Software Engineer
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Lead Software Engineer
As a Lead Software Engineer at Capital One, you will be facilitating engineering guilds; building, reviewing, sharing, and enhancing reference implementations; providing feedback on Mobile application designs; providing input on strategic Mobile initiatives; embedding in engineering teams to jump start complex projects; and helping raise the talent bar by recruiting and hiring top engineering talent. You will also work with product owners to articulate benefits of proposed solutions; influence technical roadmap of Enterprise Mobile platform; and help business prioritize work.
You believe that code speaks louder than PowerPoint, and that the best solutions are arrived at by engineers working collaboratively on a problem rather than by mandate. You have multiple solution ideas for increasing design or code reuse across Mobile and Web channels, and can list pros and cons of each. You'd rather re-use a good solution than re-invent the wheel. You are open minded to different technical solutions, but forceful in questioning their merit. You get equally excited about a product feature that will make customers' lives better, and about the latest Apple or Google Mobile feature. You enjoy developing elegant solutions to complex problems. You are aware that testing plays a critical role in a maintainable/scalable code base. If this sounds exciting, the Applied Solutions Architect role could be for you!
The person we're looking for:
- Executes analysis and implementation of best practices, emerging concepts and technologies in all things mobile including applications, devices, operating systems, middleware, security, multi-platform concepts and tools
- Uses deep domain knowledge of Android, iOS and Mobile development platforms to influence design and architectural direction and processes
- Provide technical leadership, mentorship and tool selection in various Mobile technology areas working with the engineers and advising technology delivery and business leaders
- Prioritizes end-to-end secure coding practices
- Serves as a mobile evangelist providing forward looking thought leadership, participating in conferences, authoring internal technical blogs, etc.
- Elevates software engineering capabilities and impact through coaching, mentoring and teaching others
- Is passionate about hands-on coding, especially frameworks with a solid design that supports reuse and is a robust working software in production
- Has a strong sense of engineering craftsmanship, takes pride in the code he/she writes
- Believes that good software development includes secure coding practices, test first culture, automation, documentation, and collaboration
- Has good communication and reasoning skills, including the ability to make a strong case for technology choices
- Is able to collaborate, build consensus and iteratively improve solutions
- Firmly believes in leading by influence
- At least 6 years of programming language experience
- At least 4 years experience designing Mobile applications and systems
- At least 5 years of experience with application architecture and development
- At least 2 years of experience developing and deploying applications on public cloud
- At least 2 years of experience developing Microservices and REST APIs
- 10+ years of experience in a technical role
- 10+ years of experience with application and/or data design, architecture and development
- 10+ years of experience building consumer-facing web and/or mobile software solutions at scale
- 2+ years of experience leading engineers
- 5+ years of experience in Java, Android, SWIFT, iOS
- 1+ years of experience with rapid prototyping and interface design testing
- 1+ years of experience building or improving software development and test automation frameworks
- Contributions to open source projects
- Experience presenting at conferences and meetups
- 5+ years of experience in agile development and methodologies
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top