Lead Software Engineer
1750 Tysons (12023), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Lead Software Engineer
Do you believe infrastructure is code? Do you want to build CI/CD pipelines that allow changes to flow into production in minutes? Do you appreciate pushing the boundaries of what is considered engineering and operations? Capital One is seeking a Software Engineer to build a extremely elegant and scalable software to deliver a game changing CI/CD infrastructure that will impact both internal and external customers.
As part of the Consumer Banking team that's leading the next wave of disruption on a whole new scale, you will play an integral part in advancing Capital One's ecosystem and culture of technical excellence. Your areas of responsibility will range from AWS, Application Frameworks, APIs, MicroServices, Distributed Processing and beyond.
Responsibilities & Expectations:
- Develop scripts and glue code to integrate multiple software components
- A love of SRE, open-source, self-service tools, and micro-services
- Experience with AWS multi-region/multi-AZ deployed systems, auto scaling of EC2 instances, CloudFormation, ELBs, VPCs, CloudWatch, SNS, SQS, S3, Route53, RDS, IAM roles, security groups, blue/green deployments, and A/B testing
- Automate the provisioning of environments pulling strings with Puppet, cooking up some recipes with Chef, or through Ansible, and the deployment of those environments using containers, like Docker or Rocket: (and for the love of automation, at least have some configuration management tool through some version control)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are necessary due to the dynamic nature of collaborations with customers, vendors, and other engineering team, solving complex business problems together
- We're looking for self-starters, those who can work independently, with and across teams. Establishing smooth running environments is paramount to your success, and happiness
- Serious technical street cred and have built out infrastructures in the cloud and have Open Source contributions of which you are proud to share!
- Discerning. You understand the importance of selecting the right technology tool for the task
- Insatiably Curious. You ask why, you explore, you're not afraid to blurt out your crazy idea. You can work at a tiny crack until you've broken open the whole nut
- Automator. You know what continuous integration means, and believe automation is the path to happiness. You know how to script and automate anything and everything, from tests to environment provisioning
- Problem Solver. You are a natural problem solver with a curiosity about technology. Others describe you as a highly creative and curious technologist, one with excellent research skills
- You're not intimidated by challenges, even thriving in an unstructured environment where you're empowered to make a difference. In that context, you will be expected to research and develop cutting-edge technologies, to accomplish your challenge, should you choose to accept
- While a cape is optional, the uniform we're seeking is someone super passionate about their craft, particularly all things eAPI, and hyper-focused on delivering world-class solutions on an aggressive schedule. Is this you? If this is your version of a cape, continue to apply.
- At least 6 years of development experience in AWS, Ansible or Chef programming skills
- At least 2 years' experience with Virtualization and Cloud Platforms
- At least 1 years' experience with Linux
- At least 1 years' experience developing applications using Agile principles
- 5+ years' experience with OOP concepts
- 4+ years' experience with development and management of Java APIs
- 1+ years' experience working with cloud automation/orchestration technologies (ie. Puppet, Chef, SpaceWalk, OpenStack, Ansible)
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top