Lead Scrum Master
201 Third Street (61049), United States of America, San Francisco, California
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Lead Scrum Master
This "hands on" position will be directly responsible for execution using principles of the scrum in an agile development environment. Agile coach/Scrum Master will act as the liaison for the teams, facilitating planning, agile education, execution, and communication. The Scrum Master is responsible for tracking and reporting day to day activities as well as removal of roadblocks and impediments for multiple teams. This role requires the candidate to work cross-functionally with various engineering teams and other business partners internally and externally.
- Serve as Agile Coach for multiple teams
- Integrate Agile & Lean principles into team practices and work products
- Developing ability to help onboard or act as a mentor to a Scrum Master with less experience
- Coordinate and guide the Sprint Teams through sprint planning meetings. Identify user stories in the product backlog to be included in the sprint; suggest refinements to user stories and assist the team in dividing user stories into more implementable sections
- Provide guidance on the composition of effective user stories and business acceptance criteria
- Organize and facilitate sprint review (demo) meetings to allow stakeholders to provide feedback on the product
- Incident management - conduct daily bug triage, and ensure timely resolution and closure of logged defects
- Operational and release management co-ordination - Monitor deployment to Production after every major release; system health
- Facilitate the weekly Scrum of Scrums meetings for cross-track issue identification and resolution
- Actively seeks and participates in a variety of learning opportunities such as Communities of Practice, conferences, classroom training and independent study to further develop self and community
- Introduces new and advanced Agile practices to improve the team and their delivery
- Coaches the team to improve collaboration and self-organization
- Communicate progress to the sprint team and management (e.g. velocity trends, commitment reliability, incident trends, backlog health etc.)
- Ensure that the project is on track in terms of scope of work, timeline, resources, quality, and rate of progress.
- Coach and guide the team on Agile best practices for effective implementation of the Sprint Cycles throughout the product lifecycle.
- 5+ years relevant experience; Certified Scrum Master and/or at least 3 years' experience as an Active/Full-time Scrum Master.
- Agile training completed and 2 years of experience of training teams and/or team members in Agile/Scrum.
- Basic knowledge of the underlying principles of cloud based micro-services development, release management and familiarity with AWS is huge plus
- Ability to lead without authority by building relationships
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to facilitate discussions and lead effective meetings
- Ability to identify, own, and resolve issues
- Committed to continual improvement
- Able to inspire cross-functional team members to work together Able to effectively communicate orally (in person and by telephone) and in writing, especially with work teams.
- At least 5 Years of Agile experience.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Computer Science, Information Systems,
Engineering or military experience.
- CSM Certification.
- PMP, Lean, Agile or Six Sigma certification.
- SAFe certified or knowledge.
- At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top