Lead Platform Engineer
Knolls 2 (12036), United States of America, Glen Allen, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Lead Platform Engineer
Candidate must possess strong to advanced knowledge of routing / switching, carrier services and data center services. Candidate will primarily act in an Advanced Support role for the enterprise data network platforms performing various activities. Such activities include troubleshooting performance issues and performing break-fix network changes. This position calls for a candidate who will help execute against support strategies for data network platform requirements and deployments. The candidate should have experience with and a strong knowledge of Incident, Problem and Change management processes. Candidate will drive technical resolution of High-Severity & Low Severity Incidents. Candidate will provide direct support of Problem Management process, including Post-Mortem participation and presentations.
Candidate will help govern device remediation and Operational Resiliency activities. At time the candidate may manage the work of technical associates and Vendors.
- Supports Data Center, LAN/WAN and Carrier services with potential to branch into
Firewall, Load Balancing, Wireless Mobility, DNS and DHCP platforms to ensure peak
operating performance is maintained.
- Advance Support escalation resource for incident resolution.
- Consult with various technology support groups as part of problem resolution efforts.
- Proactively evaluate network environments using various tools and management
- Assess vulnerabilities, identify and implement mitigation plans.
- Contribute to enterprise network strategy/solutions development and technology
- Provide input to network enterprise design standards and maintain network topology
- Participate in technology integration efforts with other engineering and support teams.
- Provide direct support of audit and ad hoc consulting engagements.
- Ensure compliance with departmental and enterprise security configuration standards.
- Manage and Govern relationships with technology vendors utilized in the enterprise
- Provide Technical leadership and mentorship to junior personnel.
The ideal candidate should have:
- Hands on expertise with troubleshooting Routing Protocols OSPF& BGP and different platform of Cisco routers ASR1000, 7600, 7200, 3800, 2800 etc.
- Hands on expertise with troubleshooting Switching L2/L3 and different Cisco switches Nexus 2k, 5K, 6K 7K &9K , Cat 6500, 4500, 4900, 3700, 3500 etc.
- Experience in implementing and troubleshooting the following technologies: Fabric Path, Spanning Tree,
MPLS, GETVPN, PBR (Policy Based Routing), QOS, Video, Unified Communications.
- Experience with design, configuration and support of datacenter, campus and remote solutions.
- Experience leveraging network management tools and performing packet analysis as
part of incident/problem resolution and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a flexible work environment and multiple locations as needed
- High school diploma, GED/equivalent certification or military experience.
- At least 15 years of experience in all technical aspects of switching and router implementation.
- At least 5 years of leadership experience in operational support or at least 10 years of general leadership
experience in an engineering capacity for a large enterprise network.
- At least 10 years of experience in engineering or 8 years of experience in all aspects of operational support.
- Bachelor's degree
- CCNP Datacenter Routing and Switching certification or CCIE written w/ lab
- 10 years of experience in technical leadership in a large enterprise network
- 15 years of experience in IT projects
- 15 years of experience in IT infrastructure
- 15 years of experience in all technical aspects of Routing implementation
- 15 years of experience in all technical aspects of Switching implementation
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top