Lead DevOps Engineer
Locations: VA - McLean, United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Lead DevOps Engineer
As a member of our DevOps team, you will work with product managers and engineers in our team, as well as in partner teams. You will influence, educate, drive, build and deliver high quality, highly reliable production systems. You will contribute to product architecture and design by providing architectural and operational input and guidance. You will identify best operational practices; identify, select, and implement best in class operational solutions. You will collaborate with other teams to lead by example with innovation and best practices.
- Participate in the product lifecycle from architecture and design, review product architecture, provide operational guidance and requirements, support in development and own production
- Collaborate on improving engineering team solutions to build well-operational products
- Work closely with development teams to ensure the scale of the products, can be monitored and managed, and provide required metrics and logs
- Evaluate products and technologies required to build our systems, select the best tool for the job, and educate the team about how it is used
- Be automation focused - develop code and scripts to augment external technologies to create automated product release pipelines from development to production
- Maintain and support production service by measuring and monitoring availability, latency, and overall system health, plan and manage capacity and growth
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems, to constantly improve our product and processes
- Work with partners team to lead by example - socialize solutions and approaches, contribute to the larger organization approach and methodologies
- Willingness to learn, implement and contribute to our DevOps focused ecosystem.
- Bachelor's Degree
- At least 7 years of experience with Unix/Linux environments.
- At least 4 years of DevOps experience
- At least 3 years of experience working with Agile Development Practices
- At least 3 year of experience of developing automation infrastructure and operational solutions
- At least 3 years of public cloud experience with full product lifecycle
- Masters Degree in Computer Science
- 5+ years experience coding experience in Python, Groovy and bash scripts.
- 3+ years of experience with infrastructure technologies (Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform, CloudFormation) and data products (Kafka, Cassandra or other noSQL databases, Storm, Spark, Flink or similar)
- 3+ years of experience building automated production solutions and supporting production/customer facing product
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top