Full Stack Engineer
Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Full Stack Engineer
We may be a bank, but we think and operate like a tech company. A tech company that writes its own code, develops its own software, and builds its own products. A tech company that experiments and innovates with the latest technologies, engineers breakthrough customer experiences, and brings simplicity and humanity to banking.
We began life in 1988 by harnessing the power of big data to create customized products that disrupted the credit card industry. Now we are doubling down on that big data strategy, and we are looking for great data engineers to join us.
As a Capital One Data Engineer, you'll be part of an Agile or platform team dedicated to breaking the norm and pushing the limits of continuous improvement and innovation. You will participate in detailed technical design, development and implementation of applications using existing and emerging technology platforms. Working within an Agile environment, you will provide input into architectural design decisions, develop code to meet story acceptance criteria, and ensure that the applications we build are always available to our customers. You'll have the opportunity to mentor other engineers and develop your technical knowledge and skills to keep your mind and our business on the cutting edge of technology. At Capital One, we have seas of big data and rivers of fast data. To tame it all we're using tools like Spark, Scala, Akka, Cassandra, Accumulo, HBase, Hadoop, HDFS, AVRO, MongoDB, and Mesos – and we're on the look-out for anything else that will help us.
We are looking for intellectually curious and driven individuals to join our team of talented and passionate engineers in creating next generation data quality solutions for our Cloud and on-premises data platforms.
On any given day you will:
- Develop integrated full-stack applications from the ground up using a modern technology stack such Spark, Scala, Java, Kafka, NiFi, Elastic Search, Kibana, Angular JS, Redshift, AWS S3
- Design and build data quality solutions for cloud based analytical data warehouses, streaming platforms and fit for purpose data stores
- Work directly with Product Owners and end-users to develop solutions in a highly collaborative and agile environment
- Help grow and mentor team members on the fine art of data engineering and software abstractions
What we have:
- Flexible work schedules
- Convenient office locations
- Generous salary and merit-based pay incentives
- A startup mindset with the wallet of a top 10 bank
- Monthly innovation challenges dedicated to test driving cutting edge technologies
- Your choice of equipment (MacBook/PC, iPhone/Android Device)
What you have:
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 2 years of experience with Unix/Linux systems with scripting experience in Shell or Python
- At least 2 years of experience building data pipelines and fit for purpose data stores
- At lest 4 years of experience delivering analytical data warehouse solutions or fit for purpose data stores
- At least 2 years of experience working with AWS platforms and services
- At least 1 year of experience working with Redshift and AWS S3
- In depth experience working with automated build and continuous integration systems
- Passion for learning, growing, and mentoring in a team environment
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top