77 West Wacker Dr (35012), United States of America, Chicago, Illinois
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Ace designers are a rare breed. So are banks that are amazing to work for.
Fortunately, we've got both in spades here at Capital One. So maybe you should join us.
Here in Chicago, we have the privilege of partnering with lots of nationally known brands to bring exceptional financial products and experiences into the real world, for our customers. We're on a journey to reimagine and reinvigorate our platforms and services.
This role focuses on applying a human-centered design process to recurring engagements with our existing partners. You'll work alongside product managers and experience design researchers along with our partners themselves, on challenging problems that are strategically important to our partners. You're going to flex a wide range of your skills across a variety of different projects, adjusting your approach and how you deliver to what will be most impactful.
You'll be a great fit for this role if you are a:
Customer advocate: People who experience our designs should feel like we really know them. That's possible when we keep our customers (and people who aren't yet our customers) at the core of all our designs.
Master craftsman: You create beautiful things, but more importantly, you're brave enough to cut everything if it's not working. Simplicity, editing, and a fierce focus on the most important elements is part of what defines your design philosophy.
Entrepreneur: You'll think about your designs as a business; it needs a purpose—whether to solve a problem, entertain, educate, or delight—and you'll measure its performance against these goals.
Storyteller: Your design decisions and concepts are elegantly presented.
Collaborator: You're comfortable and capable working in an engaged and hands-on cross-functional team, as well as in tailoring your approach to different stakeholder levels perspectives.
As the experience designer focused on our digital card partnership initiatives, you'll bring:
- An expertise in human centered design, HCI and UX practices with the ability to partner with colleagues on user research, workshops, journey maps and user flows.
- Ability to take low fidelity prototypes to high fidelity digital prototypes.
- Ability to work collaboratively within cross-disciplinary teams in technology, product and marketing, as well as ability to work independently.
- Ability to quickly deliver multiple, inventive ideas that are fresh and simple while solving complex customer and business needs. Confidence in sharing in-progress work with team mates.
- Ability to clearly communicate your design decisions with the team and craft elegant presentation and storytelling capabilities.
- Continuous research of the latest technologies, best practices, and online trends to provide recommendations for the team.
- Proficiency with current design & prototyping tools including Sketch and Invision.
- Proficiency with current presentation tools, including Keynote and PowerPoint (because sometimes it's the only way to work with internal business partners who don't use a Mac).
- Experience working in an agile development process.
- A portfolio you can send or share which highlights strong understanding of design elements such as color, photography, iconography and animation. Your portfolio should also include project examples that showcase digital branding, UI elements, interface and interaction patterns, and illustration.
And here are a few other reasons why you might want to apply:
- You want to be on a team full of practical people who want to do the best design of their lives and not work more than a regular person should.
- You are too good to not be designing for millions of people who need your help every day to understand, access, and manage their money better.
- You appreciate the creature comforts of a cool new workplace including free healthy snacks, infinite coffee + drinks, adjustable-height desks, Mac everything, games, etc.
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 4 years of experience with HCI, UX and UI design for digital products & services
- 5 years of experience with HCI, UX and UI design for digital products & services
- 5 years of experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch and prototyping tools
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top