Director, Software Engineering, Tech Fellows Program
Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director, Software Engineering, Tech Fellows Program
The Tech Fellows Team
The Tech Fellows Program is a team of experienced engineers helping Capital One leverage and scale new technologies, frameworks and tools across our organization. We are tasked with helping to build our engineering culture through advancement of engineering best practices, leveling up engineering teams, delivering production quality code and creating a flow of ideas between Capital One and the larger tech community.
Our team is looking for a Director of Software Engineering to lead, manage, mentor, and continue to build our extremely talented software engineering team. You must have the ability to attract and recruit the industry's best talent, and simultaneously have acumen to ensure that we continue to influence and build Capital One's engineering culture through innovation & technical leadership. You will be successful in the role if you have the ability to innovative, a desire to mentor & teach, a proven track record of managing high performance teams, rigorous analytical skills, and a passion for creating market-leading software for millions of customers.
- Lead an experienced group of highly technical software engineers
- Manage a broad portfolio of diverse technology projects & innovation initiatives
- Own and deliver on strategy & technical projects
- Define the vision for Tech Fellows program future state
- Recruit, motivate, mentor, and lead engineering talent
- Build relationships & partnerships with multiple business and technology teams
- Be curious & have the ability and passion to "go deep" into a technology
- Establish and maintain technical credibility within the team & engineering organization
- Define & scope software development projects in support of business intent
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent military experience
- At least 5 years' Software Engineering Experience
- At least 5 years' management experience
- At least 5 years' experience managing and supporting the full life-cycle of IT development projects
- At least 5 years' experience with object-oriented programming and design
- Master's, PhD or advanced degree in management, technical domain
- 7+ years' of experience in agile development and methodologies
- 5+ years' of experience building consumer-facing web and mobile software solutions at scale
- 5+ years' of experience recruiting top software engineering talent
- 5+ years' experience with architecture and development
- 5+ years' experience with Java and object-oriented programming languages
- 5+ years' experience running large scale global applications & distributed systems
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top