Director Software Engineering
1750 Tysons (12023), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director Software Engineering
Job DescriptionCapital One (yes, the "what's in your wallet?" company!) is rethinking the way the world approaches banking. We're experimenting, innovating, and delivering breakthrough experiences for 65 million customers. We love to be curious, to dream, and ask "What if?" Oh, and we love to write code and not to brag, but we're also a great place to work!
Your commitment to learn new things is every bit as important to us as what you have already done. Maybe even more so because we don't want to be doing the same thing tomorrow that we're doing today. You accept change, want to grow, and evolve into a better member of the team.
It's one thing to manage a team of technical experts, it's another level to be technically talented, with the ability to lead that team! Do you enjoy initiating innovative change, building new customer solutions while exploring different technical approaches within software engineering while embracing an evolving cloud environment? If so, this opportunity is for you.
This position is for a dynamic and strategic leader who can join teams that are already performing, and start making a difference from day one. In this role as a Senior Director, you will provide technology leadership, guiding architectural and design decisions. You must be able to provide career coaching and support for team members to develop their technical, business and interpersonal professional skills. You'll be able to identify and remove impediments, while successfully driving towards key initiatives. Building and maintaining strong relationships, earning and maintaining confidence with both customers and business leaders are critically important responsibilities. A clear and crisp communication style will establish realistic expectations for all stakeholders.Responsibilities:As an Engineering Leader, you will provide technical guidance and leadership to the Agile teams while being hands on in development work as needed. Removing technical impediments, designing the platform/application implementations with cutting edge technologies and leading a successful team are core parts of responsibilities. This position requires working in fast paced environment which needs realigning priorities and changing strategies for successful implementation of business requirements.
- Execution – Deliver on-time with high bar of quality our engineering solutions
- Must be able to work and influence a large number of cross functional teams
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in internal & external technology communities, and learn from other members of the engineering community
- Experience in driving new tools and processes to agile development teams
- Proven expertise in adopting innovation at workplace
- Excellent leadership and communication skills
- Have a growth mindset with the ability to adopt new practices and spearhead adoption
- Proficiency with standard ITIL processes, including Change, Incident, and Release management
- Desire to have an Tech industry-wide impact
Position Provides Exposure to:
- Front End Skills: Java Script (jQuery, dojo)/CSS/HTML, Single Page Applications (AngularJS, React), Responsive Design
- Back End Skills: Microservices, REST, JVM (Java - Spring, Spring Boot, Hibernate, etc; Clojure), NodeJS, Database (Postrgres, MySQL, etc)
- DevOps/Platforms: Amazon Web Service (S3, RDS, EC2, Lambda, SQS, SNS, DynamoDB, CloudFormation, etc), Chef, Docker, Ansible
- Automation Testing: Selenium, Cucumber, ATDD, Protractor, Karma, Automated Performance and Regression/Functional Testing
- CI/CD: Jenkins, Nexus, Artifactory
- Build/SCM Tools: Maven, Gradle, Grunt, Gulp, Git, NPM
- DB/Data Platforms: Kafka, Storm, MongoDB, Hadoop, Spring XD/Spring Batch
- Data Science Platforms: Machine Learning applications to solve real-world problems
- At least 7 years of experience in software engineering, platform engineering, middleware or database technology
- At least 3 years of experience with architecture design
- At least 3 years of Cloud centric micro-services application architecture experience
- Master's in Information Technology OR Master's degree in Computer Science
- 2+ years of experience with digital payments/e-commerce
- 3+ years of experience designing and externalizing APIs
- 3+ years of experience managing medium to large size agile teams
- 3+ years of experience with the AWS eco-system, toolsets and deployment architecture
- 3+ years of leading modern development approaches (containerization, cloud, continuous delivery, micro-services, modular reactive web applications)
- Active within the tech community (speaker at events/meetups, blogging, open source contributor)
This is a senior-level position located in McLean, VA. It is permanent and full-time, beginning as soon as we find the right person. Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top