Director Software Engineering - Enterprise Monitoring
7900 Westpark Drive (12131), United States of America, Tysons, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director Software Engineering - Enterprise Monitoring
It's one thing to manage a team of technical experts, it's another level to be technically talented, with the ability to lead that team! We are looking for a candidate who enjoys initiating innovative change, building new customer solutions while exploring different technical approaches within software engineering and embracing an evolving cloud environment. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of developing a vision, driving the action plan to deliver top-tier results. She/he will exhibit excellent people leadership skills to leverage the capabilities of peers, business partners, and associates along with the ability to effectively influence the Capital One executive leadership team. Strong business judgment, communications, and analytical skills are essential. She/he will be a team player with the ability to work independently in a fast-moving environment and can multi-task with strong attention to detail.
- Provide leadership in building and managing solutions which will help monitoring infrastructure running in AWS Cloud
- Provide leadership in building and managing solutions for Log Analytics and Application Performance Management
- Lead efforts to develop predictive capabilities for technology disruption by leveraging broad data sources
- Lead efforts to develop monitoring solutions leveraging open source products
- Expand our capabilities in machine learning, artificial intelligence, prototyping, and statistical modeling
- Provide leadership in developing roadmaps for monitoring and execute on its implementation plan
- Drive operational transformation through automation and continuous process improvements
- Recruit and develop a leading-edge engineering team
- Ability to operate at both a high and low level of zoom, elegantly shifting from strategy to details
- Thought leadership by contributing subject matter expertise in the areas of software engineering, production management, machine learning, artificial intelligence, automation, and modeling
- Balance of hands-on practice with stepping back to let your team of engineers shine
The Ideal Candidate:
- Possesses deep knowledge on AWS Cloud and Monitoring Infrastructure on Cloud
- Possesses deep knowledge on Log Analytics tools such as Splunk, ELK etc.
- Possesses deep knowledge on APM tools such as AppDynamics, New Relic etc.
- Possesses experience and deep knowledge on implementing and managing monitoring solutions in large organizations
- Possesses experience and knowledge on software development leveraging open source products
- Possesses the ability to effectively deliver under pressure in an environment of rapid change and conflicting priorities
- Is visible in both the day to day challenges of production execution & issues, and also in development of strategy and future state delivery.
- Can influence many cross functional teams
- Can employ Agile methodologies and project delivery skills to achieve high quality results
- Able to work with multidisciplinary teams and adept at facilitating alignment across different perspectives
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends and learn from other members of the engineering and machine learning community
- Excellent leadership and communication skills. Ability to effectively communicate complex concepts to executives and business sponsors in a clear and concise manner.
- Must be customer focused. Anticipate what our customers value and develops elegant solutions to delight them.
- Have a growth mindset with the ability to adopt new practices and spearhead adoption
- Expertise with standard ITIL processes, including Change, Incident, and Release management
- Bachelor's Degree or Military experience
- At least 7 years of experience in software engineering or platform engineering
- At least 3 years of experience with software automation
- At least 3 years of experience with log Analytics
- At least 3 years of experience with machine learning
- At least 3 years of experience in IT monitoring platforms
- At least 3 years of experience with statistical modeling and analytics
- Master's in Information Technology OR Master's degree in Computer Science
- 2+ years of experience designing and externalizing APIs
- 5+ years of experience managing medium to large size agile teams
- 3+ years of experience with the AWS eco-system, toolsets and deployment architecture
- 3+ years of leading modern development approaches (containerization, cloud, continuous delivery, micro-services, modular reactive web applications)
- Active within the tech community (speaker at events/meetups, blogging, open source contributor)
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top