Director, Software Engineering
Benjamin Franklin (18052), United States of America, Wilmington, Delaware
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director, Software Engineering
Capital One is rethinking the way the world approaches Retail Banking. We're experimenting, innovating, and delivering breakthrough experiences for 65 million customers. We love to be curious, to dream, and ask "What if?" Oh, and we love to write code.
At Capital One, you'll be part of a big group of makers, breakers, doers and disruptors, who love to solve real problems and meet real customer needs. We started as an information strategy company that specialized in credit cards, and we became one of the most impactful and disruptive players in the industry. We have grown to see ourselves as a technology company in consumer finance, with great opportunities for technologists who want to build innovative applications and give users smarter ways to save, transact, borrow and invest their money.
We're currently seeking a Director of Software Engineeringto lead some of Capital One Retail Banking'smost exciting and innovative areas of technology strategy. This is a highly visible and impactful executive position with broad strategic influence and technical complexity driving a major transformation within Capital One. You will build a team of data engineers with deep machine learning expertise, collaborate with data scientists and digital product managers, and deliver robust machine learning solutions in the cloud to drive powerful experiences that help millions of Americans achieve their financial goals.
You will be responsible for:
- Leading, managing and growing a team of customer focused software engineers
- Leading the craftsmanship, security, availability, resilience, and scalability of your solutions
- Collaborating with and across Agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, and support technical solutions in a full-stack of development tools and technologies
- Hiring top engineering talent and maintaining our commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Encouraging innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, and self-organization
- Bringing a passion to stay on top of machine learning trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in internal & external technology communities, and mentor other members of the engineering community
- Mentoring and guiding the professional and technical development of engineers on your team and continuously improving software engineering practices
The person we're looking for:
- Has a sense of intellectual curiosity and a burning desire to learn
- Has great communication and reasoning skills, including the ability to influence and make a strong case for technology choices
- Thinks and acts like an owner, taking personal responsibility for the success of the product and the team
- Maintains a working knowledge of the current state-of-the-art in relevant tools and technologies, knows how to implement them effectivelyis pragmatic, makes the best use of time and resources to find the simplest solution that works
- Has a strong sense of engineering craftsmanship, takes pride in the code they're responsible forvalues data and truth over ego
- Has the ability to collaborate and work efficiently with, and contribute to, a teamis deliriously focused on the customer and the details that make their experience exceptional
- Is motivated, actively looks for ways to contribute, and knows how to get things done
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 8 years of experience in software development
- At least 2 years experience developing in AWS or other cloud computing platforms
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Senior Manager, Software Engineering
Jyotisana manages five teams who simultaneously work on internal and external technology projects in areas from communication to customer service.
Back to top