Director, Software Engineering
11 West 19th Street (22008), United States of America, New York, New York
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director, Software Engineering
Are you excited by the challenge of solving large-scale FinTech problems through innovative engineering and product management? Do you enjoy solving complex challenges with open source technologies in a fast-paced, collaborative, and creative environment? We're looking for a hands-on engineering leader who thrives on building cutting-edge technology solutions from scratch.
This role provides a considerable opportunity for ingenuity, as this individual will work as a key leader of an exceptionally talented engineering team, to deliver innovation at a massive scale.
We are looking for an independent thinker who makes convincing, evidence-based decisions. The ideal candidate will devise clear roadmaps to innovation and is comfortable thinking strategically and diving deep; a vanguard leader who can identify opportunities and leverage the team to translate them into live solutions, used by millions of customers.
What you will need to bring for this position:
- Experience building and leading a team in the development and rapid delivery of next-generation digital products
- A history of embracing and incubating emerging technology and open source products
- Ability to collaborate with various partners in the tech, startup and academic ecosystems
- The ability to seed and extend innovation into the greater organization to develop key talent, consistent with that of a leading technology company
- Technical Leadership: the ability to choose the right technologies and inspire your teammates to deliver quality software solutions
- Recruit, motivate, mentor, and lead the best application engineering talent
- Great attitude, team player and energy amplifier. Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and technologies
- Take ideas and concepts, and visualize them in ways such that they are communicated effectively and compellingly for internal leaders, partners and customers
- Understanding of ways to lead a team developing in an Agile environment
- Ability to work independently in a fast paced, unstructured environment
- A robust portfolio of shipped code on GitHub or other open Source contributions and experience with distributed/scalable systems is a plus
- Implement MVP solutions that will drive long term technical strategy
- Review, contribute to, and oversee the code and architectural patterns designed by senior-level engineers on your team
- Recruit, retain, and manage a team of high-performing hands-on engineers and team leads
- Collaborate with product managers and other partners to build a product strategy and roadmap
- Provide technical leadership to a dynamic team throughout the software development life cycle
- Collaborate with architects, other teams, product owners, and software engineers to drive implementation of new applications
- Leverage your strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Conduct design and code review to ensure compliance with standards
- Ensure adherence to continuous improvement practices as required to meet quality / time to market imperatives
- Maintain records to document program development and revisions
- Navigate the organization to proactively resolve obstacles
- Bachelor's Degree
- At least 5 years of people management experience
- At least 5 years of experience with RESTful APIs
- At least 3 years of experience developing Java applications
- At least 2 years of experience developing Node.js applications
- Master's Degree
- Experience managing a production GraphQL endpoint
- 2+ years' experience building highly-available API services
- 2+ years' experience working within AWS
- 1+ year of experience with data streaming frameworks (Spark Streaming, Flink, Kafka Streams, Samza)
- 1+ years' experience developing Python applications
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top