Director, Software Engineering
1750 Tysons (12023), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director, Software Engineering
Do you want to work for a tech company that writes its own code, develops its own software, and builds its own products? Do you enjoy solving complex challenges with open source technologies in a fast-paced, collaborative, and creative environment? We experiment and innovate leveraging the latest technologies, engineer breakthrough customer experiences, and bring simplicity and humanity to banking. We make a difference for 65 million customers. At Capital One, you'll be part of a big group of makers, breakers, doers and disruptors, who love to solve real problems and meet real customer needs. We want you to be curious and ask "what if?"
Capital One is seeking a Director of Software Engineering to lead, manage, mentor, and build an extremely talented software engineering team to deliver a game changing customer experience across all customer touch points. This leader must have the ability to attract and recruit the industry's best talent, and simultaneously have the technical chops to ensure that what we build compelling, customer oriented solutions in an iterative methodology. Success in the role requires an innovative mind, a proven track record of delivering new consumer-facing software products, rigorous analytical skills, and a passion for creating market-leading software for millions of customers.
- Technologist: Strong engineering and technology background with the ability to learn quickly and go deep into our product and engineering solutions.
- Effective Communication: Excellent listener; proven collaborator with superiors, peers and staff.
- Partner Attitude: Have the competencies to build very strong partnerships with other technology leaders that enable your team's ability to stay on the leading edge of industry solutions.
- Curious: Hands-on, "roll up your sleeves" collaborative style of working.
- Passionate: Bring energy and enthusiasm to the job and organization.
- Bold: History of taking smart, calculated risks and aggressively leading through change.
- Achiever: Consistently attain/exceed individual and team goals.
- Lead, manage and grow multiple teams of product focused software engineers
- Embrace and incubate emerging technology and open source products across all platforms
- Work to modernize our existing tech stacks
- Collaborate with internal teams to find areas of opportunities for automation and machine learning.
- Partner with architects, product owners, and software engineers to drive the implementation of new applications
- Work within and across Agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, and support technical solutions across a full-stack development tools and technologies.
- Lead efforts to deploy new and existing applications into AWS environments
- Conduct design and code review to ensure compliance with standards
- Bachelor's Degree
- At least 7 years experience in software development
- At least 4 years experience in people management
- Master's Degree
- 10+ years' experience in software development
- 6+ years' experience in people management
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top