Director, Software Engineering
1750 Tysons (12023), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director, Software Engineering
Capital One is seeking a Director of Software Engineering to lead, manage, mentor, and build an extremely talented software engineering team to deliver a game changing customer experience across all customer touch points. He/she must have the ability to attract and recruit the industry's best talent, and simultaneously have the technical chops to ensure that what we build compelling, customer oriented solutions in an iterative methodology. Success in the role requires an innovative mind, a proven track record of delivering new consumer-facing software products, rigorous analytical skills, and a passion for creating market-leading software for millions of customers.
- Manage a broad portfolio of diverse technology projects, initiatives and innovation
- Help Define the vision for technical enablement that helps fuel our CRM, Case Management and Fraud Operations development teams
- Recruit, motivate, mentor, and lead the best application engineering talent.
- Manage technology support teams to develop business applications, or ensure business applications have high availability and adequate performance, to include demonstrating year-over-year performance improvement.
- Collaborate, Support and partner with multiple business and technology teams
- Display the ability and passion to "go deep" into the technology
- Establish and maintain technical credibility within your engineering organization
- Embrace a growing DevOps mindset and culture
- Manage application/software development to deliver technology prototypes in support of business assessment.
- Build and grow a team of cloud and Full Stack engineers including Data and Cloud engineering to scale our public and private cloud services, applications and operations.
Do you enjoy getting your hands dirty, and still love to code? If you have a Passion for any, all or some of the following technologies including Open Source: Java, Clojure, ReactJS, Python, Scala, HTML5, LAMP STACK, and web development technologies in general, consider joining our team! In this role, one can expect to utilize their passion and commitment towards leveraging Data Engineering, AI and Machine Learning towards cognitive computing; all while embrace a growing DevOps mindset and company culture.
- At least 5 years Software Engineering Experience
- At least 5 years' management experience
- 7+ years of experience in agile development and methodologies.
- 3+ years of experience building consumer-facing web and mobile software solutions at scale
- 2+ years of experience with rapid prototyping and interface design testing
- 3+ years of experience recruiting top software engineering talent.
- 3+ years of experience in COTS products like Pega, Salesforce, BPM and Workflow automation
- At least 5 years' experience with object-oriented programming and design, including Java.
- At least 5 years' experience in developing web applications, architectural standards and Micro Services.
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top