Director, Small Business Bank Design
1750 Tysons (12023), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director, Small Business Bank Design
The Small Business Bank Design team at Capital One will be a new and diverse group of human-centered designers charged with designing experiences in service of a small business owner's dream, providing them with financial tools and advice that feel exclusively created for every moment in their journey. The Small Business Bank Design team is partnered with talented partners from product, tech, ops, analytics, communications, culture, and brand teams to bring about a persistent focus on our customers and create elegant, simple digital-first products that can revolutionize the lives of small business owners.
As a Design Director you will:
- Lead and facilitate a talented, multi-disciplinary team through each stage of the design process
- Craft project approaches that challenge the status quo and lead to highly valuable and impactful design solutions
- Partner with executives, leaders, and other stakeholders to define smart strategies that align business, customer, and associate needs
- Sharpen and expand your leadership, teaching, thinking, and making skills
- Advocate and be the voice of our customer in our product development process
- Use customer-driven insights and agile methodologies to deliver elegant and delightful customer experiences
- Collaborate strategy for prototyping and pilot efforts
- Translate business requirements into visual concepts and prototypes to be used in testing
- Create interaction models, and user task flows, that promote ease of use and optimize task flows
- Partner with Product Managers to influence product design and express / own the UX strategy
- Create and deliver UX/UI design documentation to aid with cross-team communication, collaboration and development
- Develop and maintain artifacts that express humanity, simplicity and ingenuity
- Visualize complex sets of data in ways that are easy to comprehend
- Participate in design research, persona development, and a wide variety of usability studies
What you bring:
- You know how to create inspired, effective project teams that make designers clamor to work with you again
- You know how to craft approaches that fit the unique needs and desired outcomes of the project at hand
- You have strong facilitation and workshop design skills
- You want to lead and participate in all phases of the design process (thinking and making)
- You know how to balance hands on practice with stepping back to let your team of designers shine
- You have a consultative approach and a collaborative nature
- Formal training in leadership, management or mentoring
- Examples that demonstrate your ability to successfully lead teams improving digital user interfaces through various tools and techniques
- You are experienced in the end-to-end design process, balancing customer insights and business goals
- You possess the ability to deliver on those insights by driving product vision and strategy to position our digital products alongside our core financial products
- You're going to be responsible for delivering an experience, so you must have worked in a product group focusing on web or mobile applications for a few years; in and around other designers and engineers - and love it.
- Your prior experience will be important because you will be responsible for your product throughout the full product lifecycle.
- Working with our product teams, you'll need to identify opportunities and uncover untapped needs through customer research and interaction data
- Working with our engineering teams, that vision you clearly articulated will need to turn into simple, intuitive experiences that serve our customer's banking needs
- At least 8 years of experience designing digital products or at least 8 years of experience designing omni-channel services
- At least 5 years of experience leading and managing designers
- Master's Degree in Design or Human-Computer Interaction
- 10+ years of experience with designing digital products
- 10+ years of experience with Information Architecture
- 7+ years of experience with leading and managing designers
- 5 years of experience with Prototyping Tools
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top