Director, Platform Engineering
1750 Tysons (12023), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director, Platform Engineering
Capital One Investing is changing the way people build and secure their legacies through financial success. We are empowering customers to become lifelong investors by offering them experiences that blend the humanity of financial advisors and brokerage professionals with the elegance and convenience of digital solutions. We seek to provide a clear, complete, straightforward investing experience, however customers choose to do it.
You’re the new Director, Platform Engineering joining us at Capital One Investing to lead your team. You’re results oriented, hands-on with your knowledge of technology and excel at delivering through others. You’ve written and/or released lots of software, shipped products and contributed to platforms, tools, and modules. Having worked with several frameworks, designs and scaling models you understand the challenges involved with building big, distributed systems used by thousands of people every day – and relish them. You love to learn new things and to grow.
You’ll work on everything from customer-facing web and mobile applications using cutting-edge open source frameworks, to highly-available RESTful services, to back-end Java based systems using the hottest techniques in Big Data. You’ll bring solid experience in software or systems engineering using emerging and traditional technologies such as: Cloud Infrastructure, ITIL, Information Security, DevOps and application monitoring to name a few. You will ensure the platform health of cross-functional, multi-platform application systems, and will have the opportunity to remain in a hands-on engineering role, while also providing technical leadership, and mentoring platform engineers on complex and high priority technology projects.
- Deliver on advanced technology strategy, ranging from managing Cloud infrastructure to leading team of Site Reliability Engineers responsible for the operations of a portfolio of software applications
- Manage a team of at least twenty associates, setting individual and team goals for platform health, customer satisfaction, and associate development
- Build robust systems with an eye on the long term maintenance and support of the application
- Have a growth mindset with the ability to learn new technologies and practices and spearhead adoption
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in internal & external technology communities, and learn from other members of the engineering community
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity
- Help determine how best technology can be applied to meet the customers’ needs
- Ensure that the customer’s voice is heard in all product and engineering processes
- Able to communicate clearly, both in written form and verbally
- Ability to set technology strategy for a team
- Proven track record of developing junior and experienced technicians
- Proficiency with Cloud technologies and concepts
- Proficiency with Information Security principles and patterns
- Proficiency with standard ITIL processes, including Change, Incident, and Release management
- Proficiency with system and application monitoring tools and techniques (i.e. New Relic, Splunk, etc.)
- At least 7 years experience working in software or systems Engineering role.
- At least 5 years of experience managing engineering teams
- 1+ years experience working with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- 1+ years experience working with Chef or 1+ year working with Ansible, or 1+ year working on GitHub
- 1+ year experience with Jenkins
- 2+ years experience in Financial Services or 2+ years of Brokerage or 2+ years of trading systems experience
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform a job, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Director, Digital Product Marketing
Mazen is transforming the financial industry, one groundbreaking product at a time. By applying imaginative marketing techniques, Mazen shines the spotlight on Capital One’s most impactful financial technologies.
Back to top