Director of Software Engineering
114 5th Ave (22114), United States of America, New York, New York
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director of Software Engineering
Are you a technology leader that thrives in a vibrant, innovative and collaborative environment? A master coder who has the passion and desire to remain hands-on in a rapid, dynamic space? Do you want to work for a tech company that writes its own code, develops its own software, and builds its own products? We experiment and innovate leveraging the latest technologies, engineer breakthrough customer experiences, and bring simplicity and humanity to banking. We make a difference for 65 million customers. We're changing banking for good. At Capital One, you'll be part of a big group of makers, breakers, doers and disruptors, who love to solve real problems and meet real customer needs. We want you to be curious and ask "what if?"
As a Director of Software Engineering at Capital One, you'll work on everything from customer-facing web and mobile applications using cutting-edge open source frameworks, to highly-available RESTful services, to back-end Java based systems using the hottest techniques in Big Data. You'll bring solid experience in emerging and traditional technologies, examples including, but not limited to: iOS, Python, AngularJS, Nodejs, REST, JSON, XML, HTML / HTML5, CSS, relational databases, machine learning, and AWS/Cloud Infrastructure.
You will lead the technical design and development of cross-functional, multi-platform applications, and will have the opportunity to remain in a hands-on engineering role, writing beautiful code, while also providing functional and technical leadership, and mentoring software engineers on complex and high priority technology projects.
If you can explain the difference between GET, POST, and PUT and what idempotency has to do with it, strive to develop 12 Factor Apps, and embrace the Async Manifesto, apply immediately to be considered!
- Own the technical design and development of cross-functional, multi-platform applications.
- Drive tactical delivery for multiple engineering teams
- Work with business partners, architects, and other groups to identify technical and functional needs of systems, and determine priority of needs.
- Partner with other departments like Product Management, Line of Business API engineers, Security and Operations to regularly ship new releases
- Ensure adherence to defined development life cycle, good software design practices, and Architecture strategy and intent
- Partner with designers, product managers, and customers to understand the scope of work, priorities, and requirements for development.
- Enforce company policies in areas of development methodology, architecture, security, change and configuration management, compliance, and HR.
- Analyze, define and document requirements for data, workflow, logical processes, hardware and operating system environment
- Coordinate coding, testing, implementation and documentation of solutions
- Responsible for key system design and integration decisions; and for communicating decisions to individuals implementing the system.
- Use of multiple languages preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 8 years of experience in hands-on software development, including development of APIs.
- At least 5 years of experience designing large scale, cloud based applications
- At least 4 years of experience leading software engineering and/or mobile development teams
- At least 3 years of experience in mobile or python development
- Masters Degree or Military experience
- 2+ years experience automating software deployments
- 2+ years experience working in a continuous delivery pipeline
- 1+ years of experience with Docker/containers
- 1+ years of experience working with cloud management in AWS
- 1+ years of experience designing micro services architectures
To see what we've been up to, follow us on Twitter @capitalonelabs.
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top