Director of Retail Design
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director of Retail Design
DIRECTOR OF RETAIL DESIGN
Welcome to a new idea in banking that's disrupting financial services-for the better.
At Capital One's Retail and Direct Bank we're reimagining banking to fit our customers' everyday lives, not the other way around.
Across our growing national footprint of Retail Branches and Capital One Cafés, we have supportive people, easy-to-use products, and intuitive tools to help customers achieve a healthy financial future-one with less anxiety and more everyday joy.
The Capital One Cafés are a cornerstone of our innovative approach-think Genius Bar, rather than traditional bank branch. Open to everyone, they're comfortable spaces where people can get help, explore the latest in banking, and kick back with free Wi-Fi, Peet's Coffee and local treats.
But we're not sitting around waiting for competitors to catch up. We're finding ways to be more innovative, more empathetic and more impactful-and we're looking for a visionary director of Retail Design to help us.
As the Director of Retail Design at Capital One, you'll drive the creative visions and strategic plan for our cafes and branches, lead a team of accomplished designers, and collaborate with company leaders and stakeholders throughout the process. Your work will delight, inspire and empower consumers-with a direct impact on the company's bottom line.
- Lead a team of interior and application designers responsible for the physical design of Capital One's cafés and branches; select and direct the work of design agencies; and work closely with the Construction Delivery and Café Open teams.
- Cultivate an agile, results-driven culture in which innovation and excellence are expected.
- Ensure projects are delivered on time, on budget, and with an exceptional customer experience-while simultaneously managing risk.
- Keep our retail experience deeply rooted in the Capital One Consumer Bank brand promise, so it's always coherent and consistent with all other consumer touchpoints.
- Collaborate effectively with key stakeholders across the customer experience-including the Market Executives, Retail Strategy and Analytics, Retail Operations, Marketing, Digital Product, Technology and construction teams.
We're looking for someone with a sharp eye for retail design and innovation, passion for building brands and delighting customers-and the ability to set a clear, inspiring vision and translate it into action and results.
Ideally, you'll have:
- Strong experience designing, developing, and managing project plans in a complex and dynamic environment.
- Excellent project management skills-you know how to prioritize work and resources across engagements based on short- and long-term need.
- Exceptional communication skills-you know how to get people onboard with and aligned around a shared vision, from concept to delivery.
- Proven ability to influence, collaborate and build strong relationships at all levels.
- A passion for coaching and developing a team of associates.
- Solid experience in: integrating digital experiences into physical environments; space planning and interior designs for retail companies; selecting and coordinating finishes, colors, furniture, millwork, fabrics, signage, lighting and preparing FF&E packages; and working with product representatives and furniture dealers.
- Expertise in human-centric design and user research-you have strong empathy for end-user behaviors, and you're masterful at finding the sweet spot of product desirability, feasibility, and viability.
- Fluency in design-thinking techniques and prototyping to develop experiences that can succeed at mass scale.
- Deep knowledge of how digital experiences come to life in a retail environment, and a passion for emerging technologies.
- Demonstrated brand-building experience-you know how to build great ideas that reinforce the brand promise.
- Expertise environmental branding initiatives and merchandising.
- A get-it-done ethos-you have the energy and willingness to roll-up your sleeves, and a professional agility that equips you to easily deal with the rapidly changing dynamics of the industry and the marketplace.
- Bachelor's Degree in Interior Design or Architecture
- At least 10 years of experience in leading design teams and direct experience in retail and service design
- Professional Accreditations such as IIDA, CIDA or ASID
- Master's degree, innovation or business
- Expertise in AutoCAD, Revit, Google Sketch UP, Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top