Director of Network Services Engineering
7900 Westpark Drive (12131), United States of America, Tysons, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director of Network Services Engineering
Capital One (yes, the "what's in your wallet?" company!) is rethinking the way the world approaches banking. We're experimenting, innovating, and delivering breakthrough experiences for 65 million customers. We love to be curious, to dream, and ask "What if?" Oh, and not to brag, but we're also a great place to work!
It's one thing to manage a team of technical experts, it's a whole different level to be technically talented, with the ability to lead that team! Do you enjoy initiating innovative change, building new customer solutions while exploring different technical approaches and embracing an evolving cloud environment? If so, this opportunity is for you!
This position is for a dynamic and strategic leader who can join teams that are already high performing, and start making a difference from day one. In this role as a Director Network Services Engineering, you will provide technology leadership, guiding design, platform, and solution decisions. You will act as a career coach and support system for team members to develop their technical, business and interpersonal professional skills. You'll be able to identify and remove impediments, while successfully driving towards key initiatives. Building and maintaining strong relationships, earning and maintaining confidence with both customers and business leaders are critically important responsibilities. A clear and crisp communication style will establish realistic expectations for all technology and business partners.
The person we're looking for:
- Believes that great outcomes are achieved by passionate teams seeking to design and deploy scalable and resilient solutions
- Views time as of the essence when developing and implementing network solutions across a distributed hybrid environment including public cloud.
- Has a strong sense of engineering craftsmanship, evaluating emerging technologies with architecture teams to develop network standards and system access control
- Has been the champion of driving strategic platform direction, utilizing appropriate solutions for advancing network resiliency, scaling, capabilities, security, self-service, and software-defined management
- Demonstrates excellent analytical, communication, and documentation skills
- Prioritizes execution of roadmap initiatives, following Agile methodologies, taking appropriate accountability, and effectively managing expectations with teams and stakeholders
- Bachelor's degree or Military experience
- At least 10 years of experience in network design, protocols, hardware, configuration, tools, monitoring, and troubleshooting on large geographically distributed IP and Ethernet networks including campus and datacenter implementations.
- At least 6 years of experience of technical team management
- At least 4 years of experience with medium-to-large scale DNS, DHCP, and IPAM implementations.
- At least 2 years of experience with load balancer platforms, technologies, and medium-to-large scale implementations
- At least 2 years of experience with application infrastructure, proxy solutions, and Unix system administration
- At least 2 years of experience implementing network security platforms
- At least 3 years of experience with automation for network configuration and management.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science
- At least 2 years' experience with Infoblox, F5, Checkpoint, Palo Alto Networks, and Blue Coat platforms and technologies
- At least 1 year of experience with public cloud (AWS, Azure, Google) implementations with solid understanding of AWS network architecture, management of security groups, subnet management, and/or Elastic Load Balancing.
- At least 4 years of familiarity with a variety of infrastructure-relevant tools/products such as Splunk, Riverbed, etc
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top