Director of Machine Learning
7900 Westpark Drive (12131), United States of America, Tysons, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director of Machine Learning
Do you think about writing beautiful code while eating breakfast? Do you build applications you are proud of and want to tell your friends about? Do you get excited scaling web and mobile applications to millions of users? Do you appreciate elegant solutions but also know when to build simple first and iterate?
Capital One is seeking a Director of Machine Learning to lead, manage, mentor, and build an extremely talented software engineering team to deliver a game changing customer experience across all customer touch points. He/she must have the ability to attract and recruit the industry's best talent, and simultaneously have the technical chops to ensure that what we build compelling, customer oriented solutions in an iterative methodology. Success in the role requires an innovative mind, a proven track record of delivering new consumer-facing software products, rigorous analytical skills, and a passion for creating market-leading software for millions of customers.
- Manage application/software development to deliver technology prototypes in support of business assessment - Manage a broad portfolio of diverse technology projects to provide web, mobile, and integration solutions
- Recruit, motivate, mentor, and lead the best application engineering talent
- Manage technology support teams to develop business applications, or ensure business applications have high availability and adequate performance, to include demonstrating year-over-year performance improvement.
- Engage and evangelize with internal stakeholders as new capabilities are delivered
- Build user communities around products
- Bachelors Degree or military experience
- At least 5 years' leading software engineering teams
- At least 5 years' experience with object-oriented programming and design, including Java
- At least 5 years' experience in developing web applications, architectural standards and SOA technologies
- At least 2 years' experience with Cloud technologies
- At least 2 years' experience utilizing DevOps technologies to drive Continuous Delivery at scale
- At least 2 years' experience with RESTful APIs
- Masters Degree
- 7+ years' experience in software development
- 7+ years' experience in Agile practices
- Active within the tech community (speaker at events/meetups, blogging, open source contributor)
- 3+ years of experience with Open source projects and/or contributions
- Experience with rapid prototyping and interface design testing
- Passion for any, all, or some of the following technologies: Java, Python, Angular, AWS, Ansible, or Chef
- Strong engineering and technology background – ability to go deep into the technology
- Must have deep technical credibility with engineering org, and ability to recruit top engineers
- An understanding of why and how to build products that are accessible to everyone, including those with disabilities
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top