Director of Experience Design Research
Plano Town Center (31064), United States of America, Plano, Texas
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director of Experience Design Research
Capital One is looking for a world-class leader for the position of Director of Experience Design Research, reporting directly to the VP of Design and Research. Capital One's experience design research program combines the best of management and invention of research best practices embedded in design and product development. It includes management of high tech research lab facilities, the use of design research approaches, and curriculum development to help our employees gather powerful insights about our end users and customers.
What you will bring:
Candidates will have extensive experience in design, user research and content, and able to demonstrate an ability to apply strategic thinking to meet business and user experience goals. This individual will use their expertise to guide the use of the right research approaches for a variety of circumstances, moving easily across the spectrums of qualitative and quantitative, divergent and convergent, attitudinal and behavioral. The focus of this role is on Capital One's Financial Services line of business, specifically in auto and home loan products and services.
This role requires a visionary leader, strategic thinker, an innovative creator and someone who will champion the end user. You will work within a fast paced, Agile environment with teams of enthusiastic and creative team members and cross functional organizations. This role is about looking towards the future and driving a research program that will define the future of how people's relationship with money and finance will be defined in our ever-changing world of connected living.
Your role will be to be an evangelist for user centered design and the importance of customer focus throughout the organization. You will build connections throughout all levels of the business and will be the key contact for leaders within the organization as the expert on customer experience. You should have a proven track record leading and developing all levels of research talent on your team, so they become thought leaders, expert communicators and influential voices on behalf of our customers and prospects. You will join a talented corps of research and design leaders across the US, Canada and the UK, with a large concentration of co-workers in Virginia, San Francisco, New York and Chicago.
In addition, you will:
- Establish, optimize and manage user experience methodologies, incorporating user research and industry standard best practices
- Collaborate with other research directors and the VP of Research on research best practices and design strategies
- Build a world-class team of user experience researchers, covering a range of methods, including: ethnographic field studies, concept tests, lab-based usability studies, quantitative analysis from surveys and data mining
- Oversee one or more the research labs to ensure that any stakeholder interacting with the research program receives powerful insights about how to improve our customers' experience with their money. [Each team is comprised of researchers, lab technicians and research coordinators to ensure our locations run smoothly and provide a great experience for not only our researchers, but for other Capital One employees who use our services to conduct their own research]
- Advance our ability to effectively communicate research insights in ways that make them easily accessible and actionable by various stakeholders, such as through visual information design
- Contribute to an innovative and insights-driven culture at Capital One by teaching research curricula, so Capital One associates can learn the right way to conduct their own studies and gain insights about their customers, when appropriate
- Participate in all aspects of user experience design phases to provide expertise and guidance. This participation will include identifying target user types, discovering underlying user needs, choosing proper user research activities, developing design specifications and the development of interactive prototypes
- Evangelize for user experience within the appropriate lines of business
- Possess a personal passion and fervor for industry leading user experience quality
- Employ strategic thinking combined with the ability to execute – can develop design strategy where the pathway is not always obviop>
- Consistently demonstrate strong leadership abilities. Able to make decisions at the right level, and make the right calls consistently. Concentrates on high priority issues
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 10 years of research and analysis experience
- At least 10 years of experience managing teams of researchers
- Masters or PhD degree in Behavioral Science, Computer Science (with Human-Computer Interaction focus), Human Factors, Human Computer Interaction, Anthropology, Cognitive Science/Neural Science, Psychology or Design Strategy
- 5 years of experience working on consumer and mobile products
- 5 years of ethnographic research
- 5 years of experience with Human Computer Interaction
- 5 years of experience with Lean UX
- 5 years of experience of full-life cycle research and inspection methods which occur from ethnography all the way to statistically based user testing
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform a job, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top