Director - Network Operations Center
West Creek 4 (12074), United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director - Network Operations Center
We are actively seeking highly creative and intellectually curious Technology Professionals with deep technical expertise in networking and network security to join our team! This is an opportunity to build/lead a high performance team responsible for strategy/roadmap development; design/build/maintain a complex, large scale network/network security environment; hone the performance of the environment; and foster the use of expert level troubleshooting skills by the team. Our network and network security environments play a major role in protecting our company, so ensuring optimal performance of the environment is critical. You will collaborate and innovate with smart and passionate people within Capital One to push the envelope (when necessary) to deliver results that have a direct impact on the company's bottom line, and will manage a team of dynamic and talented networking/network security professionals who want to learn from your experience and skills.
On any given day you will:
- Oversee stability and availability of network environments used by Capital One
- Drive major incident/problem resolution, consulting with other technology support groups as needed including Operational Advance Support and Engineering Teams as part of problem resolution efforts
- Manage a team of highly talented network operational engineers and provide coaching and mentoring to help them grow professionally
- Develop enterprise support strategy to provide a highly available network environment including Load-Balancing, Firewall, Cyber Defense and Proxy services
- Own support relationships with technology vendors
- Proactively identify and address key platform risks and close all monitoring gaps
- Assist with the implementation of new platforms, code versions, and features to meet lifecycle management and business requirements
- Assess security vulnerabilities, identify mitigation plans and successfully implement them
- Consult on the creation and/or maintenance of standards documentation, operational design documentation/templates/topology diagrams and workflow documents
- Participate in technology integration efforts with engineering and other support teams
- Provide direct support of audit and ad hoc consulting engagements; ensure compliance with departmental and enterprise security configuration standards.
Successful candidates will possess:
- Experience building and maintaining a strong, high performance team of networking specialists.
- Understanding of strategic business objectives and the ability to drive results toward those objectives.
- Strong knowledge of incident management, problem management, and change management best-practices.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills with high degree of attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently as well as part of a geographically dispersed integrated team.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced, highly collaborative, frequently changing, and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Expert level knowledge of how to use network management tools and packet captures to resolve operational issues
- A high level understanding of multi-tiered application traffic flow, server load balancing, global load balancing, and firewalls
- Familiarity with ITIL, Agile (Kanban) project delivery, industry standard network management tools, and common application traffic flow patterns in multi-tiered applications
- A solid understanding of what comprises a scalable, robust, supportable design
- Calmness and clarity of thought under pressure
- High levels of integrity in the conduct of personal and professional affairs
- A bias toward action, along with an internal drive for continuous improvement
- A passion for teamwork
Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communications skills to:
- discuss complex technical issues with technicians, engineers, and vendors
- assemble and clearly present technical information in a business-like manner to non-technical personnel
- lead and facilitate communications with people in immediate department, other departments, and external third parties
- inform and influence senior leaders and peers
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 4 years' professional experience in a technical leadership role supporting an enterprise network infrastructure that is geographically distributed.
- At least 4 years' experience with proxy, firewall and load-balancing technologies
- At least 1 years' experience in Cloud-based DDoS mitigation
- Master's degree in Information Technology or Information Security
- 6+ years' professional experience in a technical leadership role supporting an enterprise network infrastructure that is geographically distributed
- 10 years' experience with Checkpoint or Palo Alto Firewalls
- 4 years' experience with demonstrated technical proficiency in Infoblox DNS/DHCP, BIND, Microsoft DNS or 4 years' experience with demonstrated technical proficiency in Blue Coat Proxy servers or 4 years' experience with demonstrated technical proficiency in Aruba wireless access points, controllers, and Clearpass or 4 years' experience with demonstrated technical proficiency in Cisco routing and switching
- 2 years' experience Cloud-based distributed denial of service DDoS mitigation
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top