Director, Enterprise Architect
Towers Crescent 2 (12067), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director, Enterprise Architect
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, we measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared vision and culture, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. Although we are a bank, we operate as a tech company. We write our own code, develop our own software, and build our own products. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. We are changing banking for good because we dare to dream, disrupt, and deliver a better way.
Tech College Position Overview:
We are creating something unique and unprecedented: a re-imagined hub for technology training called Tech College. This is a bold investment in developing our associates and leaders, recruiting top technical and non-technical talent, and continuing to differentiate ourselves in the market. Tech College aims to transform our approach to enabling our associates and leaders with the technical skills they need to be successful in current and future roles. We constantly strive to deliver impactful and engaging learning experiences through the most cutting-edge methods to directly enable the success of our people and our business.
As the Enterprise Architect of Tech College, you will be responsible for overseeing the successful delivery of Tech College's "products" – i.e., the highly engaging technical learning experiences and solutions produced by our team. In this role, you'll own and drive the Tech College product roadmap and architecture, manage all release and delivery activities, and serve as the steward of our team's Scaled Agile practices. This is a unique role that combines architecture, engineering, agile and training practices into one.
The Enterprise Architect will work directly with Tech College leadership (including the Head of Tech College and Head of Learning Experience) and subject area Deans to direct the overall product strategy, design and deliver cross discipline learning experiences, use your technical expertise when facilitating Tech College courses, advise product design, development, and implementation, and direct end-to-end team operations and delivery. You will also advise subject area Deans on the delivery platforms and other technologies that best align to Tech College's production roadmap and goal of creating an industry-leading learning experience.
This is a key role at the intersection of product strategy, technical subject matter expertise, learning and career development, and efficient and effective operations in an Agile environment. As the Enterprise Architect, you'll manage the delivery team that will help you drive towards accomplishing your team goals.
This is a rare opportunity to be in a role with meaningful impact, challenging problems to solve, creative freedom and autonomy, opportunity to expand your leadership prowess, strong support, and the ability to stay on the cutting edge of knowledge, skills, and tech. If you're an experienced technologist with a passion for driving strategy and managing to results while helping people develop and grow their careers, we would love to meet you!
- Own the master Tech College product roadmap and support product teams to manage product design and delivery cycles for on-time, on-budget product delivery
- Oversee Tech College end-to-end product design, development, release, and delivery for engaging learning experiences across multiple subject areas (including teams of engineers, learning professionals, and SMEs)
- Partner with the Learning Operations Manager to direct Tech College team operations, including budget, resource allocation / staffing, demand planning / forecasting, team capacity management, metrics / reporting, stakeholder engagement, and risk / issue escalation
- Manage team members in other release and delivery management roles, e.g., Release Train Engineer, Scrum Masters, to help drive proper technology and learning asset delivery
- Own the ongoing execution of Scaled Agile program management and product development practices (e.g., SAFe, Scrum, Kanban)
- Leverage the product roadmap to provide input to program-level ceremonies (e.g., Product Incrementing Planning)
- Utilize Tech College feedback and metrics (e.g., quality, delivery rate) to identify areas of opportunity to continuously improve product delivery and operating principles at the program level
- Use subject matter expertise across technical areas (e.g., software engineering, mobile development, architecture) to advise overall Tech
College strategy and prioritization, design, and development of specific curricula based on identified learning needs
- Manage relationships with Accountable Executives and/or the Line of Business Leaders to align strategic direction for Tech College
- Work with key shared service and delivery teams to drive alignment across enabling areas (e.g., establishing/curating vendor partnerships; driving build/buy/implementation of key technical infrastructure)
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 5 years of experience in software engineering and/or technical architecture
- At least 5 years of experience in application design and development
- At least 7 years of experience in Tech product delivery
- At least 5 years of experience leading and developing teams
- At least 5 years of experience in project management
- At least 3 years of experience in operations
- At least 3 years of Agile experience
- Master's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Information Technology
- 5+ years creating learning strategy and curriculum in a technology organization
- 5+ years working in an Agile environment
- Certified Scrum Master or Scaled Agilist certification
- Certified Six Sigma Green Belt or higher
- 1+ year of experience using JIRA or Version One
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top