Director - Data Engineering
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director - Data Engineering
Capital One is building our next generation data ecosystem that will dramatically improve the ability of internal data users and analysts to create products and experiences that captivate our customers. We are looking for a Director - Data Engineering to help us reimagine our products, and to plan, design, and work with our engineering teams to build out our next generation of interactive analytic capabilities in support of an ambitious data transformation agenda. We are looking for a teammate who can accelerate our move to open source technologies, microservices, and machine learning-enabled data products.
- Interface with business leadership to understand business requirements, reimagine technical solutions and drive agile teams towards innovative delivery
- Work across Technology to develop and execute a strategy to transform Finance technology data pipelines to a modern data management stack.
- Re-imagine our user access paradigms, reducing both complexity with roles/entitlements and the time it takes for users to get access to new data sources without creating new risk for the enterprise
- Build and lead high-performing, agile teams focused on Data Engineering and delivering business functionality
- Be part of a core team leading migration to new data technologies for event-based, streaming, and both interactive and batch analytics
- Provide senior-level technical consulting to application development teams during application design and development for highly complex or critical projects
- Provide oversight for budgets and project plans, and manage technology risks and issues
- You ponder over what drove your streaming music service's algorithms to accurately predict that you'd like the song you're listening to. Nate Silver asks you who's going to win the next election. You follow Hilary Mason on Twitter. You love data
- You get a thrill out of using large data sets, some of them messy, to answer and solve real-world business problems
- You yearn to be a part of cutting edge, high profile projects and are motivated by delivering world-class solutions on an aggressive schedule
- You are passionate about finding refined solutions to complex coding challenges and helping the entire team meet its commitments
- You love leading teams of highly talented Data Engineers, strive to help others build their skills and achieve their career goals
- Humor and fun are a natural part of who you are
#ilovedata #bigdata #transforminganalytics
• Bachelor's Degree or military experience
• At least 5 years of experience in Data Engineering Practices
• At least 5 years of experience leading customer engagement
• At least 5 years of experience in Resource or People Management
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Management of Info Systems/Technology
• Experience with the full AWS stack and technologies such as Hadoop, Python, Hive, Kerberos, Centrify
• Background in agile SW development and Scaled Agile Frameworks
• 5 years of experience in financial or other highly regulated industry, or, a company with an innovative approach to analytics
• Financial Services/Card industry experience
• Master's Degree in mathematics, economics, engineering, or computer science
• MBA, ITIL, Six Sigma, Lean, Agile
• 5 Years of experience defining data architectures
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top