Director - Data Engineering
Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director - Data Engineering
Capital One is passionate about data – it drives our everyday lives. Capital One's Enterprise Data Services organization is where data becomes meaningful information, and the EDS team engineers world-class data products to establish or improve reporting, analytics and decision making throughout Capital One. As a Director in Data Engineering, the ideal candidate will provide enterprise-level consulting to the organization on the design, development and adoption of data management frameworks that ensure data quality, effective & efficient data usage, and advanced fine-grained user access management for our big and fast data ecosystem. You will work to determine Capital One's data architecture strategy, including database design and structure, data integrity and database tools to deliver top-notch data management to the enterprise. You will communicate with directors and executives, mentor technical staff, build high-performing teams and partner with leading / cutting edge technology vendors to ensure SLA standards are met.
- Work across Technology to ensure effective data risk processes exist for Technology-owned data sources
- Define and lead the frameworks for compliance with data management standards for emerging technologies (streaming platforms, cloud integration, etc.)
- Determining readiness of new big/fast data capabilities to be used to support critical operational processes
- Overall accountability for ensuring teams adopt established data management frameworks to prevent data lakes from becoming data swamps
- Build and lead high-performing, agile teams focused on Data Engineering
- Be part of a core team leading migration to new data technologies for unstructured, streaming and high volume data
- Provide senior level technical consulting to application development teams during application design and development for highly complex or critical projects
- Provide oversight for budgets and project plans, and manage technology risks and issues
- You geek out over obscure sports statistics. You ponder what drove your streaming music service's algorithms to accurately predict that you'd like the song you're listening to. Nate Silver asks you who's going to win the next election. You love data
- You get a thrill out of using large data sets, some of them slightly messy, to answer real-world questions
- You yearn to be a part of cutting edge, high profile projects and are motivated by delivering world-class solutions on an aggressive schedule
- You are passionate about finding refined solutions to complex coding challenges and helping the entire team meet its commitments
- You love leading teams of highly talented Data Engineers, strive to help others build their skills and achieve their career goals
- Humor and fun are a natural part of who you are
#ilovedata #bigdata #transforminganalytics
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Management of Info Systems/Technology or military experience
- At least 5 years of experience in Data Engineering Practices
- At least 5 years of experience in leading customer engagement
- At least 5 years of experience in Resource or People Management
- Experience with data technologies such as Hadoop, Python, Hive, Tableau, etc.
- Background in agile SW development and Scaled Agile Frameworks
- 5 years of experience in Financial Industry
- Financial Services/Card industry experience
- Master's Degree in mathematics, economics, engineering, or computer science
- PMP, MBA, ITIL, Six Sigma, Lean, Agile
- 10 Years of experience in Data Management Practices
- 5 Years of experience defining data architectures
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top