Director, Brand Identity Strategy
West Creek 2 (12072), United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Director, Brand Identity Strategy
The Enterprise Brand Strategy and Management team is responsible for positioning and distinguishing the Capital One brand and empowering teams across the enterprise to deliver a cohesive and powerful brand experience – to our associates, customers, prospects and the community at large. A critical aspect of a powerful brand experience is a well-managed portfolio of branded assets, clear criteria and guidelines for what rises to the level of a branded asset for Capital One, and a well-defined process for creating verbal and visual identities that deliver a consistent Capital One experience across every customer touch point.
As the Director of Brand Identity Strategy you will:
- Lead and be accountable for creation and oversight of Capital One's brand architecture and naming strategies
- Develop the program and organizational tools by which we create our most high-profile brand names and visual identities
- Be the primary point of contact with lines of business (i.e. Card, Bank, Financial Services) and enterprise teams (i.e. Tech, Digital) to consult and educate associates on proper identity strategy
- Facilitate the creation and approval process for all Capital One flagship brands and sub-brands
- Partner with creative leadership and execution teams to create visual identities and associated brand artifacts such as logos, app tiles and plastics.
- Strategically connect the dots between enterprise and business strategies and the usage of brand identities to help achieve those goals
- Partner with Governance to ensure architecture standards, policies and guidelines are clearly defined
- Engage in ongoing compliance audits of LOB portfolios to align with teams on off-strategy outliers and plans for de-confliction
- Partner with lines of business, brand strategy and insights colleagues to measure and monitor the health of the portfolio and go-to-market strategies and recommend enhancements or action required
- Stay up-to-date on key business and marketing concerns of LOB stakeholders to ensure recommendations are fully informed and strategically grounded
- Apply light touch architecture strategy internally to guide department, location, team and project level "branding" requests
- Interact with executive leadership across the enterprise – as such, professional poise, excellent communication skills and ability to influence an executive audience are critical to delivering on the expectations for this role.
- Bachelor's Degree or Military experience
- At least 10 years in naming and brand identity development and brand architecture
- At least 5 years managing a portfolio of at least 3 brands
- At least 5 years of experience with Corporate branding, agency or brand consulting experience
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top