Design Strategist, Consumer Bank
1750 Tysons (12023), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Design Strategist, Consumer Bank
On the Café Design team you will be at the forefront of Capital One's efforts to reimagine everyday banking—our Capital One Cafés. For our customers, Capital One Cafes are community centers where they can come in, take care of everyday banking needs, and catch up with friends, work, or me-time over a cup of coffee and a snack. For Capital One, our cafes are an opportunity to showcase our take on banking—digital first, customer-focused, empowering.
As a Design Strategist, Sr Manager, on this team you will:
- Oversee multiple projects to bring new product concepts and experiences to life in our cafes
- Build and mentor a team of design strategists that can adapt to regularly changing business context
- Work with multidisciplinary teams of designers, architects, business analysts, café ambassadors, brand and content strategists, and bankers to create seamless end-to-end experiences
- Be the voice of the customer in business strategy and planning meetings
- Develop frameworks, portfolio/product prioritization, roadmaps, etc. that help drive strategic consideration of the desired customer experience
- Use visual and tangible storytelling tools to share your discoveries, influence stakeholders, and create energy around an idea or an initiative
You're a good fit if you:
- Understand that good design balances user, business, and technical feasibility needs
- Are comfortable navigating highly regulated industries
- Have experience using design to drive business intent and outcomes
- Are adept at facilitating alignment across different perspectives
- Use design to communicate complex concepts simply and always strive to make things tangible, whether they're conversations, frameworks, or ideas
- Stay on top of the latest technology trends and are up for the challenge of bringing new technologies to a conservative industry
- Bachelor's Degree
- At least 7 years of experience in one of the following: Design Strategy, UX design, or Industrial design
- At least 2 years of experience leading teams
- Master's Degree in Design
- 8+ years of experience in design strategy, UX design, communication design, or industrial design
- 3+ years of experience leading teams
- Experience working in a highly regulated industry
- Experience with a digital product & services company
- Experience with physical service design
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top