Design Program Manager, Card Design
Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Design Program Manager, Card Design
Who You Are
You're a go-getter who loves making connections, clearing paths, and bringing awesome experiences to life. You've lived through the highs and lows of supporting user experience teams as they engage with partners, evolve into agile with product and tech teams, and deliver innovation for both customers and the business. You've worked at scale, spending time on enterprise level products managing multiple work streams. You're got of a host of design project management tools in your toolbox, but you're not precious about any one of them. You're a proactive communicator with the emotional intelligence to build and maintain trusted relationships with designers, product partners, and engineering partners.
If this sounds like you, we should talk.
What We Need
We're seeking a senior level Design Program Manager to help our Card Design team of nearly 90 very talented folks be their best design selves while growing our programs in project tracking and team accountability. You'll be an integral part of the team, learning from many of the design management practices that exist, working directly with our executive-level leaders, and using your creativity to extend the practice for this team.
To join us, you should need to have a strong background in design program management for digital product and/or omni-channel service experiences. You should also have a multi-year portfolio of managing the full design process for projects at a variety of scales, with a strong understanding of the practices that move ideas from the problem space, through the conceptual space, and into the execution space. experiences that benefit our customers and employees.
What You'll Bring + Do
- Partner with the Card Design senior leadership team, Design Leads, and the Practices Team to understand work streams and assess them against portfolio priorities
- Develop a scalable approach for design management as a practice
- Facilitate models for managing effective and efficient design teams
- Work with our practices team to forecast resources
- Manage delivery schedules within the overall business, design, and development needs and with available resources
- Identify and manage risks and mitigation plans
- Organize and ensure appropriate communication of status, issues, forecasts, metrics etc. to product and engineering stakeholders
- Monitor and balance overall project health and team satisfaction
- Support scoping new engagements
- Determine and implement process improvements
- Build great working relationships
- Knowledge sharing across Capital One
- Performing other related duties as required
Desired Skills and Experience
We are looking for someone who has experience managing a design portfolio in our kind of environment or somewhere similar. Strong communication and writing skills, authenticity, and a sense of humor are key. Our design program manager must also be comfortable with ambiguity in the face of design challenges and know how to move toward the right solution as part of a team.
- Bachelor's degree
- At least 5 years of experience with portfolio management or at least 5 years of experience with design project management with agency or in-house design teams
- At least 5 years of experience working within the digital Industry
- Master's degree
- 7+ years of experience with design practice or portfolio management for digital products or omni-channel service experiences
- 7+ years of experience working within the design project management in agency or in-house teams
- 4+ years of experience in presenting to peers, management and stakeholders
- 4+ years of experience working with Business Relationship Management
- 4+ years of experience with the Project Management tool-set
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top