Design Director, Garage Innovation
Plano Town Center (31064), United States of America, Plano, Texas
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Design Director, Garage Innovation
We want to change the way people engage with their money, their bank, and their financial lives. It's audacious work at a massive scale. The Garage innovation design team experiments, coaches, and inspires our Financial Services division in Plano, Texas to help customers navigate life's biggest decisions with ease and confidence, while fulfilling Capital One's goal to change banking for good.
The Garage supports four key businesses, Consumer Auto, Dealer Auto, Mortgages, and Home Equity, in addition to providing services for the division itself. Garage projects consist of accelerator teams, internal apps and services, and innovation coaching teams. This role reports to Jamin Hegeman, Head of Design, Financial Services, formerly of Adaptive Path.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of leading teams, pushing the boundaries of new technologies, and a consultative approach. She/he will exhibit excellent people leadership skills to leverage the capabilities of peers, business partners, and associates along with the ability to effectively influence the Capital One executive leadership team. Strong business judgment, communications, and analytical skills are essential. She/he will be a team player with the ability to work independently in a fast moving environment and have the ability to multi‐task with strong attention to detail.
- Lead and facilitate a talented, multi-disciplinary teams through each stage of the design process (strategy to execution)
- Craft project approaches that challenge the status quo and lead to highly valuable and impactful design solutions
- Partner with product managers and technology partners to define smart strategies that align business, customer, and associate needs
- Advocate and be the voice of our customer in our product development process and evangelizing experience led design processes and guiding other team members
- Sharpen and expand your leadership, teaching, thinking, and making skills
- Prioritize work and resources
- Maintain competitive and technology trend awareness
- Mentor and support team members; understanding their strengths and weaknesses and recommending projects and training to help them develop; recommend promotions and growth opportunities; Experiment with new tools and techniques to improve our work
- Recruit and hire additional team members as needed
What you bring:
- Familiarity with and ability to lead the end-to-end design process, design strategy, research, synthesis, ideation, to execution
- Ability to operate at both a high and low level of zoom, elegantly shifting from strategy to details
- Thought leadership by contributing subject matter expertise in the areas of design strategy, design process, information architecture, interaction design, visual design, design research, and customer behavior
- You know how to create inspired, effective project teams that make designers clamor to work with you again
- Proficiency in crafting approaches that fit the unique needs and desired outcomes of the project at hand
- Strong facilitation and workshop design skills
- Balance of hands-on practice with stepping back to let your team of designers shine
- Consultative approach and a collaborative nature
You're a good fit if you:
- Are comfortable navigating highly-regulated industries
- Are excited to work with multidisciplinary teams and adept at facilitating alignment across different perspectives
- Use design to communicate complex concepts simply and always strive to make things tangible, whether they're conversations, frameworks, or ideas
- Enjoy being at the whiteboard
- Stay on top of the latest technology trends and are up for the challenge of bringing new technologies to a conservative industry
- At least 7 years' experience leading concept‐to‐deliver design teams
- At least 7 years' experience in design roles
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- Master's degree in Design or Human-Computer Interaction
- Experience working on or leading service design projects
- 3+ years' experience with team leadership or management
- 2+ years' experience with a large scale consumer internet company
- 2+ years' experience in start‐up environments
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform a job, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top