Design Development Program Intern - Georgia Tech
Plano 1 (31061), United States of America, Plano, Texas
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Design Development Program Intern – Georgia Tech
As an Intern on the Digital Design team, you will work closely with other designers, strategists, developers, product managers, and business analysts to further our understanding of how people interact with their money – you will identify opportunities for change, advocate for the needs of our customers, support design from empathy to iteration, and help deliver human-centered solutions to over 65-million customers.
About the role:
Design Interns at Capital One have a passion for solving complex problems. They are human-centered in their approach to design and feel comfortable advocating for user needs. They are curious and demonstrate a passion for learning. They are capable of generating ideas and prototyping concepts that are anchored in research insights, subject knowledge, technology requirements, and business goals. They have an exuberant passion for the power of strategic design and an “anything is possible” mind set. They take pride in their work and yet they have a humble approach. They are able to contribute as a designer from end-to-end on projects, which means they are comfortable as researchers, strategists, and designers. They employ design thinking methods to uncover insights that help inform design decisions. They are excellent communicators and feel comfortable presenting their work in front of others.
Our internship will provide you with an opportunity to:
- Build empathy for the people you’re designing for through participation in human-centered research;
- Advocate for and be the voice of the customer in our design and development process;
- Collaborate with business analysts, product managers, and other designers on research, strategy, ideation, design, and testing of new product concepts;
- Present research findings and design concepts with various audience types from sophisticated design experts to non-designers;
- Exercise our values of humanity, simplicity, and ingenuity throughout your work;
- Translate user needs, style guides, technology and business requirements into elegant design solutions;
- Work alongside talented designers, product managers, and developers;
- Attend trainings on emerging technologies and trends;
- Participate as a fully empowered member of a diverse and passionate team, including other interns from design, development, and product management.
We’re seeking intern candidates with the following:
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Interaction Design, Communication Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science (with Human-Computer Interaction focus), or another design-related field or closely related discipline;
- Working knowledge of human-centered design principles (e.g. Design Thinking);
- Portfolio of UX/UI design work that demonstrates experience working on projects from empathy to iteration;
- Storytelling skills with an ability to weave key insights into a compelling narrative and present to diverse audiences;
- Problem-solving skills with an ability to analyze situations, identify existing or potential problems and recommend solutions;
- Experience with standard digital design tools (e.g. Sketch, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Omnigraffle, Balsamiq, Axure, etc.);
- Bonus: interest in service design with experience using service design methods;
Here’s what we’ll bring to the table:
- A challenging role on an awesome team;
- Mentorship with industry-leading designers;
- Executive speaker series;
- Regular networking opportunities with peers and executives;
Come join us!
- You will obtain a bachelor’s degree or higher between December 2017 and August 2018
- You are a current student or alum of Georgia Tech
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform a job, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Director, Digital Product Marketing
Mazen is transforming the financial industry, one groundbreaking product at a time. By applying imaginative marketing techniques, Mazen shines the spotlight on Capital One’s most impactful financial technologies.
Back to top