Design Development Program Associate - Georgia Tech
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Design Development Program Associate – Georgia Tech
As a Designer on the Digital team, you will work closely with other designers, strategists, developers, product managers, and business analysts to further our understanding of how people interact with their money. You will find opportunities for change, advocate for the needs of our customers, and lead design from empathy to iteration to deliver human-centered solutions to over 65-million customers.
About the Role:
Our Designers enjoy solving complex problems. They are human-centered in their approach to design and advocate for user needs. They are curious and demonstrate a love for learning. They generate ideas and prototyping concepts that are anchored in research insights, subject knowledge, technology requirements, and business goals. They are passionate about the power of strategic design and demonstrate an “anything is possible” mind set. They take pride in their work yet have a humble approach. They are able to contribute on end-to-end on projects and act as as researchers, strategists, and designers. They use design thinking methods to uncover insights to inform design decisions. They are excellent communicators and enjoy presenting their decisions in front of colleagues and business partners.
What You’ll Do:
- Build empathy for the people you’re designing for through participation in human-centered research;
- Advocate for and be the voice of the customer in our design and development process;
- Collaborate with business analysts, product managers, and other designers on research, strategy, ideation, design, and testing of new product concepts;
- Present research findings and design concepts with various audiences from sophisticated design experts to non-designers;
- Utilize Lean and Agile methodologies to deliver useful and usable product, data, or service experiences;
- Exercise our values of humanity, simplicity, and ingenuity throughout your work;
- Translate user needs, style guides, technology and business requirements into elegant design solutions;
- Use analytics tools to measure success, present opportunities, and support decision-making
- You will obtain or have obtained a bachelor’s degree or higher between December 2015 and May 2017;
- You are a current student or alumni of Georgia Tech
- Bachelor’s Degree: BFA in Interaction Design or Communication Design, BS in Human-Computer Interaction or Computer Science (with Human-Computer Interaction focus), BA/BS in design-related field or closely related discipline;
- Graduate degree: MFA / MDes in Interaction Design, MS in HCI, MA in Design with experience as a UX practitioner;
- Working knowledge of human-centered design principles (e.g. Design Thinking);
- Portfolio of UX/UI design work that demonstrates experience working on projects from empathy to iteration;
- Storytelling skills with an ability to weave key insights into a compelling narrative and present to diverse audiences;
- Excellent problem-solving skills with an ability to analyze situations, identify existing or potential problems and recommend solutions;
- 2+ years’ experience with standard digital design tools (e.g. Sketch, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Omnigraffle, Balsamiq, Axure, etc.);
- Exposure to client management, including relationship building with internal and external partners;
- Bonus: interest in service design with experience using service design methods;
About the Design Development Program:
As a member of our two-year, Design Development Program (DDP), you’ll have the freedom to explore different roles, teams, and design projects while zeroing-in on the career that’s right for you. Conceived of as a career accelerator to foster the next generation of leading talent, the Design Development Program provides the framework to develop world-class design skills and gain a comprehensive understanding of end-to-end data, product, and service design.
Here’s what we’ll offer:
- A fun and challenging role on an awesome team;
- Placement opportunities within Product, Service, and Data Visualization Design roles
- The opportunity to rotate roles at the 12-month mark in the Program;
- Mentorship with industry-leading designers;
- On-going professional and personal training through Meet Ups, Lunch N Learns, and our award-winning Capital One University;
- Regular networking opportunities with peers and executives;
Come join us!
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform a job, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Director, Digital Product Marketing
Mazen is transforming the financial industry, one groundbreaking product at a time. By applying imaginative marketing techniques, Mazen shines the spotlight on Capital One’s most impactful financial technologies.
Back to top