Data Visualization Designer
Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Data Visualization Designer
Data Visualization makes data tangible for our company and customers, thereby empowering us all by transforming what's unknown into something that's known. We enable these outcomes by digging into data sets, large and small, to manifest it in enlightening, understandable ways to fuel decision-making.
We're looking for a designer to help build this new practice, which partners with Tech and Product to create ultra-powerful, ultra-helpful experiences for internal teams and customers alike.
WHY WE CARE
- Because we're aiming to Change Banking for Good, which means being brave enough to change how people interact with us AND their money, for the better
- Because we want to know things that'll enable us to make strategic decisions with the greatest degree of confidence, driven by real-time data
- Because insights should be accessible to us, both as employees of Capital One, and as customers who are trying to make sense of their money
WHO ARE YOU? LIKELY SOMEONE WHO…
- Is deeply creative and driven by playfulness, wonder, and a thirst for understanding
- Is a problem solver with a knack for uncovering elegant solutions
- Is a confident person who's humble and never pretends to be someone you're not
- Enjoys fully immersing yourself in data, business constraints, and customer problems you're interpreting.
- Asks questions to get at the deeper-level "why" because you prioritize relevance and meaning over the artifact or visualization itself
- Is outcome-focused and have an exceptional track record to prove it
HERE'S WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT IN THIS ROLE
As a Capital One Data Visualization Designer, you may work on everything from customer-facing interfaces, physical installations, and internal tools. Here's what you'll be doing:
You'll spend the majority of your time exploring the shape of data visually. Tools like Illustrator, Photoshop, and Tableau are extremely familiar to you. You also like to dabble with specialized tools such as Gephi, RAW, and Plot.ly. Your sketchbook is your constant companion. You're passionate about layout, typography, and color and have the expertise and awareness to defend your design choices. You recognize that data visualization design optimizes for comprehension, engagement, and contextualization, and you've done your research on perception and cognition.
You love to show your work in context so tools like Sketch, Balsamiq, and/or Axure are in your toolbox. You like to test out ideas with quick prototypes. For the finished product, and working closely with engineers, you'll apply your designs primarily through CSS which you know inside out and backwards. While you're not a developer, you have a strong opinion of pacing, transitions, and overall experience of the finished product.
You'll work closely with Data Scientists, UI/UX Designers, and Data Visualization Engineers. These roles will sometimes overlap a bit, and you're comfortable adjusting your expectations to facilitate the group effort. You'll work under the guidance of the Creative Director and are at ease communicating your ideas and thrive on collaborating creatively.
Passion for your craft drives you to stay on top of the latest developments in the field. You're comfortable reaching out to experts and your peers alike to facilitate your understanding of techniques and tools.
Your participation in external and internal communities alike is expected and encouraged.
- Bachelors degree or military experience
- At least 1 year of experience in data visualization design, graphic design, or creative computing
- At least 2 years of experience with Illustrator and Photoshop
- At least 2 years of experience with Sketch, Balsamiq, Sketch, or other mockup tools
- At least 2 years of experience working in cross-functional teams
- Masters degree in Data Visualization, Graphic Design, Creative Technology or related field
- 3+ years of experience designing data visualizations
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top