Data Visualization Designer
Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Data Visualization Designer
The goal of Data Visualization at Capital One is to surface questions that have never been asked before. Our team digs into data sets, large and small, to manifest data in enlightening, understandable ways to fuel decision-making.
WHY WE CARE
- Because we're aiming to Change Banking for Good, which means being brave enough to change how people interact with us AND their money, for the better
- Because we want to know things that'll enable us to make strategic decisions with the greatest degree of confidence, driven by real-time data
- Because insights should be accessible to us, both as employees of Capital One, and as customers who are trying to make sense of their money
WHO ARE YOU? LIKELY SOMEONE WHO...
- Is deeply creative and driven by playfulness, wonder, and a thirst for understanding
- Is a problem solver with a knack for uncovering elegant solutions
- Enjoys fully immersing yourself in data, business constraints, and customer problems you're interpreting.
- Asks questions to get at the deeper-level "why" because you prioritize relevance and meaning over the artifact or visualization itself
HERE'S WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT IN THIS ROLE
As a Capital One Data Visualization Designer, you'll likely be working on problems such as anti-money laundering, fraud detection, conversational AI, and explainable AI among others. You may work on everything from customer-facing interfaces, physical installations, and internal tools.
Here's what you'll be doing:
You'll spend the majority of your time exploring the shape of data visually. You live and breathe in Illustrator, Photoshop, and similar tools. You're comfortable in Excel, Tableau, or similar tools to understand your data. You're passionate about layout, typography, and color and have the expertise and awareness to defend your design choices. You recognize that data visualization design optimizes for comprehension, engagement, and contextualization, and you've done your homework on perception and cognition.
You love to show your work in context, so tools like Sketch, Balsamiq, and/or Axure are in your toolbox. For the finished product, and working closely with engineers, you'll apply your designs primarily through CSS which you know inside-out. You have a strong opinion of pacing, transitions, and overall experience of the finished product and are happy to jump into the CSS to refine.
- Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, or military experience
- At least 3 years of professional experience in data visualization design, graphic design, or creative computing
- At least 3 years of experience with Illustrator and Photoshop
- At least 2 years of experience with Sketch, Balsamiq, or Axure
- At least 3 years of experience with front-end CSS coding
- At least 3 years of experience working in cross-functional teams
- Masters degree in Data Visualization, Graphic Design, Creative Technology or related field
- 4+ years of experience designing data visualizations
- Extensive experience in CSS; including transitions, SASS, and cross-browser compatibility
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top